Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
starrymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*UPDATE#2 w/PICS* Fracture/Sprain/Strain in 16 m/o during normal play!?!!??***

My 16 m/o was playing in the living room and went after a ball from a toy...
Either when she went down to get it she fell or ???? and the 9 y/o I'm sitting for picked her up. We thought maybe she hit her mouth on a folding (camp sytle) chair b/c she was making quite a fuss...

No blood or swollen lip, but she keeps getting upset and begins crying 'ma ma' & asking for 'boo' (to nurse)...

I took her up to our bedroom and nursed her, thinking she was staying so upset after the fall b/c she was tired...

After 'booing' she rolled over onto her tummy and laid down. After a few seconds, she tried to push up onto all fours to get up, and came crashing down on her face screaming...

I brought her down stairs and she's walking fine, so I sat her down and got the 9 y/o to call her to walk to her. When she tried to get up, as soon as that left hand hit the ground w/any pressure, she fell flat again crying...

I called the ped, & they suggested a trip to the local ped e.r. (passing 3 hospitals to get there).. so I called dh...

He is NOT happy. All he can think is $$, and of course if we go up there & do xrays only to find out she's 'ok' we're both going to feel stupid..

I guess it's harder to decide what to do b/c last winter/this year she was having (as far as anyone could tell) seizures.. she convinced a really good ped neuro, but it resulted in a lot of tests & thousands upon thousands of bills.. only to get "everything's normal right now, but we can keep an eye on it"...

oh, and OF COURSE, she's obviously hurting & favoring her other hand.. but has also had a few 'twitches' like she did over the winter.. and the 'seizure type' we were researching can lay dormant or under control but appear or worsen when a person is sick /hurt.. there are so many unknowns & individual cases..

so, i guess what i'm getting at, is that right now i'm watching her until the 9 y/o goes home & dh comes home (5:45/6ish)...

what should i look for? i've NEVER broken anything.. if i try to touch or 'palpate' her wrist/arm, she is not happy about it.. if she puts weight on it, she immediately withdraws and uses her other hand.. i'm trying not to let her get in the position to need to get 'up' as seeing her crash onto her face breaks my heart...

Advertisement

Last edited by starrymomma; 09-02-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: update in new post
starrymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Re: **HELP!** Fracture/Sprain/Strain in 16 m/o during normal play!?!!??***

Oh no. I have no advice but I hope you figure it out and that shes okay! keep us posted!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Mama that doesn't sound too good. I would take him in immediately. I would call the 9 year olds parents and have them pick her up immediately, and then take him to the hospital or call the ambulance.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

It's a definite possibility mama. Is it swollen or bruised looking?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
mbsr76
Registered Users

I have two friends whose little ones broke bones in their first year of life. With all the playing and twisting and falling that toddlers do it's definitely a possibility. I would take her in immediately, if it's broken it must be hurting so badly. You can also run into infections if you don't get it properly taken care of and then the bills really will start adding up.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
gogokim
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I had posted here earlier b/c my dd has a growth plate or Salter fracture. It is very important that you take your lo to the dr and get an xray! Katy had her injury from just landing on a trampoline wrong and she is now in a cast for 3 weeks. If it is nothing that is fine too. Better to know thannot and having complications later. to you and baby!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
starrymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so...
dh came home & Marley is still favoring her right arm but she's picking up toys using both hands together and wasn't complaining when he 'felt around'

you can tell it's not quite 'right', as she cannot put weight on it, but he wants to wait & see how she is tomorrow.

it's so hard.. i felt so torn while everything was going on.. we got into an argument about whether to take her or not.. he had called his sister in michigan *nurse* and since it's not noticeably swollen (what can i say, she's got chubby arms/hands) and is definitely not discolored and she's (no longer) screaming when we touch it.. that we should just watch it...

to add insult to injury, the 'seizures'/'tics' started again after she got hurt. i know mom's have reported their kiddos' seizures showing/getting worse when they are ill or hurt..and that's all i could think..

i'd go into the e.r. and say, hi, my dd fell & i think she may have broken her wrist, and btw, those imaginary seizures, yeah, they're back as of an hour ago...

geez

kids should come with an indicator.

green- good to go
yellow- trip to pediatrician
red- strap in & head to the e.r.

if she's not better tomorrow and still cannot put any weight on it, i'll take her to the dr...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to be honest here. If it were my LO I'd already been gone to the ER. I'm sorry, but your DH wasn't there to see what happened. I can't imagine my dh ever telling me not to take one of our LOs to the dr after something like that happening.

Just because it's not swollen now, doesn't mean it wont be tomorrow. If she needs a cast and you take her tomorrow and shes all swollen up, they wont be able to cast her properly. Infection can also set in, thats a HUGE deal!

Kids have accidents, kids cost money, when they're hurt it's our responcibility to take them to be taken care of, if we can't take care of it. I would imagine she is in pain...Kids can put it off more then adults can. I broke my leg and let me tell you it HURTS!

I really hope that you wont wait till tomorrow, if shes really in pain it will show tonight thru the night. While shes laying still, it will really start to hurt, and no tylenol or motrin can take care of that pain.

SS mama, but IMO, you should be taking her in asap.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
starrymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no offense taken..
i completely understand.. i posted asking for help (& opinions) and totally get 'it'
and had she continued to act the way she did when it 1st happened while dh was 'checking her out' there'd be no question..

after he got home *of course* she was toddling around trying to play and had gotten the 'message' that if she put her hand down, it didn't feel good, so she didn't have any more shrieking/falling on her face spells... and she's 'using' it to pick up toys, etc..

i'm not a huge fan of meds, so we're not using motrin/tylenol in the event it could mask any symptoms...

if she woke in the middle of the night inconsolable after the events of the day, we'd be headed straight to the hospital..

Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
pillywiggins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would take her to the ER. My pedi told us it's rare for infant/toddlers to have sprains because they are so flexible and growing now. My dd wouldn't walk on her foot for about a week. She suspected a toddler fracture but everything ended up okay after two x-rays and MRI. It's happened twice since then too. I kept asking "are you sure it's not just a sprain?" Once again, she said no most likely a broken bone.

Hugs and I hope she feels better