Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
what would you do?

I have irregular periods, usually getting them every other month or so. Naturally this makes it very difficult knowing if I'm pregnant or not. In order not to spend a fortune buying pregnacy tests how soon after having sex can you tell if you're pregnant (start showing symptoms)? Would you test periodically, wait till you show symptoms or what? Then of course when I do finally get my period I get depressed because I keep hoping that I'm pregnant. TIA.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: what would you do?

Do you chart? If you were charting, I'd say start testing 12 days or so after your temp. jump.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I've been charting now for a few months. And I have yet to really see a clear pattern.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
karlatta
Registered Users

I, too, am very irregular. My irregularity is caused by PCOS - I rarely ovulate, so AF shows up every 40 to 100 days. Do you have a link to your chart? Are you ovulating at all?

Technically, you could get a positive test result at around 12 days past ovulation. (Which would be 12-17 days after you have sex.)

When I was TTC, I allowed myself one test every two weeks. And I used Dollar Tree tests. It worked out pretty well. I could usually hold out for two weeks at a time, and since I TTC'ed for over three years (and then stopped after being told it was virtually impossible for me to conceive), I would have spent a ton of money had I tested any more often than that.
karlatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It makes me feel better hearing from someone else with irregular periods, thank you. I do ovulate periodically, or at least my temp. increases slightly, but I haven't been able to see a clear cut pattern to when I ovulate.

I've only been ttc for about 4-5 months and the doctor doesn't seem bothered by my irregular periods, according to her I'm healthy. But I can't help being worried that something is wrong with me. Would you get a second opinion? How long would you keep trying beforehand?

I was wondering if I could trust the dollar store brand preg. tests so thanks for letting me know that you used them. Money's tight so I really didn't want to have to spend a lot on preg. tests but the suspense of not knowing is going to drive me crazy!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

alot of people have used the dollar store preggy tests and they even work sooner than alot of the more expensive tests.

good luck with TTC
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote