Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm not sure it is diaper rash

My DD has always had these sores off and on. I don't have any pics, but they look like pimples. They are not in clusters, so it is not like a bumpy rash. Some times there is one some times there are 5. She gets them on her labia and on her tummy below her belly button (right where her diaper covers). This morning (and this has happened before, this is just the worst it has been) her entire front was all read with a few really big bumps (the pimples) and some blisters that are in the shape of scratches. The odd thing is that the rest of her (hips and butt cheeks) look fine! I'm not sure what to do. I try keeping her out of a diaper, all different butt creams including antibacterial ointment (thinking they are infected scratches). It bugged her so much this morning she was crying and I had to hold her hands so she wouldn't scratch at it.

My MIL (who watches her durring the day) wants to put sposies on her until it clears up, but I am not so sure. What do you ladies think?

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I'm not sure it is diaper rash

It could be a heat rash. Try putting baby powder on her.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like it could be causing all the redness. We typically load her with baby powder, but my MIL thinks that the snappie is pressing into her too much and wants us to switch to pins. Is there any other things I could do to help her diaps breath better and keep her cool?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Ashleybelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS gets something like you just described as well...and we can't figure out what it is! He has two little sores just under his belly button on the left side where the diaper covers. It's definitely NOT snappis though..because we only use fitteds.
He did have a rash from his hemp diapers (sensitivity to hemp) and that cleared up as soon as we switched to OBV instead of hemp. But those two little pimply bumps stayed. They look more like sores that are starting to scab over now.
So far they seem to be healing, and we're keeping an eye on it. Neosporin seemed to help it a little, but we still can't figure out what's going on!
I know that didnt' help you much, but maybe at least knowing it isn't snappis helps a little.
Any other mamas experience this?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just called my doc's office. The receptionist seemed to know exactly what I was talking about so I am hoping that they will call me and be able to let me know what it is. I will report back when I get news.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Here are some other things to do if it is heat rash. It can't hurt anything to try.

You might place her on a cotton towel, which can help absorb her sweat. Apply cool, wet washcloths to the areas affected by the rash. A lukewarm bath with a little baking soda — 2 teaspoons per gallon — can also help.

Let her air dry rather than rubbing him with a towel. And don't use ointments or creams on the rash. These can make the rash worse by trapping moisture.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Let us know. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post
That sounds like it could be causing all the redness. We typically load her with baby powder, but my MIL thinks that the snappie is pressing into her too much and wants us to switch to pins. Is there any other things I could do to help her diaps breath better and keep her cool?
Baby powder actually, when it gets wet, can scratch the skin causing little scratches that will then get infected. It may be the baby powder. I'd stop using it. I think baby powder should be banned
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I haven't heard back from the doc yet, but my MIL just called and said, "I think I know what it is. I swtiched detergents." (she has her own mini stash) So the detergent isn't "free and clear" so she is really upset thinking that she did this to my DD. I am going to take all the diaps home tonight and strip them. Hopefully that works and we can get rid of what she has got now by just trying to keep her as dry as possible and naked as possible.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

DS had something that sounds similar--it was underneath his belly button all over but nothing on his butt cheeks and for the longest time I thought it was thrush since I had it earlier. After taking him to the doctor, she said it wasn't thrush and wasn't exactly sure what it was. She did say that it looked as though something was irritating it and I knew right then that it was probably from the snappi. So I started putting it on a bit looser and the rash cleared up. It hasn't ever come back so I'm assuming that's what it was. Not sure if it's the same as yours, though.
*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote