Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
happyslings
Registered Users

My Mood:
Angry Dr. Phil wants midwife horror stories :(

Im reposting this from another list im on:

---------------------------

Ladies, I am writing to a mixed group here - midwives and clients. I would like to bring
your attention to the link below and would ask you to write to Dr. Phil with your story.

They appear to be asking for midwife horror stories. I want to swamp him with stories
about great experiences and for the midwives to write and tell their stories. I think it
would really help for them to see how people really feel.

I am very annoyed that he has specifically asked for the bad stories. I'd really like then to
hear about the bad hospital births! But it is Doctor Phil after all!

Please send your story in. It may not do any good, but we can only try. To be silent will
help no one.

Midwives, please send this link to all your clients and ask them to do the same.

http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=12524

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

Lots of good deals on CLEARANCE! http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=766682
happyslings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Re: Dr. Phil wants midwife horror stories :(

what a putz that guy is.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
what a putz that guy is.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I sent this:

I had a midwife and was gearing up for a homebirth. After 56 hours of excruciating posterior (back) labor, I was transported to a hospital and given a c-section. The baby was backwards (not breech mind you) with her chin up and weighed 9.5 lbs. I don't regret my decision at all and will be attempting a homebirth with any future children. My midwife was kind, comforting, and never left my side even in the hospital. The doctor was snide, rude, and very condescending (as were the 3 OBs I interviewed before choosing my midwife).

I think your attitude towards midwifery is revolting as is asking women who made an educated, informed decision about her choice to birth at home to come forward and give a "horror" story. Shame on you.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrie View Post
I sent this:

I had a midwife and was gearing up for a homebirth. After 56 hours of excruciating posterior (back) labor, I was transported to a hospital and given a c-section. The baby was backwards (not breech mind you) with her chin up and weighed 9.5 lbs. I don't regret my decision at all and will be attempting a homebirth with any future children. My midwife was kind, comforting, and never left my side even in the hospital. The doctor was snide, rude, and very condescending (as were the 3 OBs I interviewed before choosing my midwife).

I think your attitude towards midwifery is revolting as is asking women who made an educated, informed decision about her choice to birth at home to come forward and give a "horror" story. Shame on you.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
AshKat
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is mine:

First let me start by saying that I am an American citizen who lives between the UK and the US.

I am saddened to hear that you are searching for midwife horror stories. I have 1 doctor led birth and 1 midwife led birth. Midwifes are by far the better choice for an low-risk pregnancy. I felt smothered, hindered and looked-down on by the doctors and nurses that attended my first birth. I was treated as if I had a medical condition. I would choose a midwife any day without hesitation.

With the midwives, I was allowed to do what felt right - they took a back-stage role to my birth. It was wonderful and empowering.

Your search is singling out a TINY group of women that nowhere near represent the whole. I think if you did a call for hospital horror stories you'd get a much better response.

It has been widely prooven in first world countries where midwifery is accepted, normal and expected that it is just as safe, if not safer than doctor led births.

Nicole

ARGGGH! How come I never notice the typos until AFTER I push send???
Anyways, I think it's disgusting. As I said in my letter, I would choose a midwife anyday in any setting. I personally attended a midwife led birthing center in the UK. The comparison. At the hospital for my first - I had a 30 hour labour, every drug/epidural under the sun, suffered a complication that should have NEVER taken two hours to fix (I had a swollen cervix which is very easy to fix... instead I was left for 2 hours at 10cm with the words - Don't push), forced to lay on my back for 30 hours, not allowed to eat or drink, I could go on. With the birthing center. I had a 3 hour labour from begining to end, no drugs, was allowed to move as I saw fit, was allowed food and water (no chance for food though!), when I had the same complication it was taken care of without any questions within about 2 minutes, again, I can go on.

Sad.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, he did ask for positive experiences a few weeks ago. I sent mine in.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
shutterbugmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"First, I will start by saying what a huge fan I am of Dr Phil and his show.

Next, I am going to say how disappointed I am to see that you are looking for homebirth and midwife horror stories. Really? I highly recommend that you go to Netflicks right now and watch 'The Business Of Being Born', a documentary by Riki Lake. Are you asking about horror stories involving hospital births with doctors as well? Adding to the fear and shame that this society generates and pushes upon women surrounding the natural institution and rights of birth is disgusting. I really expected more from you.

For the record I have had one hospital birth, and one homebirth. (There is a video montage of our homebirth (non-graphic) on YouTube that I can link you to if you are interested.) If I am blessed with anymore children and continue to have low risk pregnancies, they will be born at home.

Best~

Sarah Long"

I even said that I would be willing to be on the show.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
shutterbugmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
FWIW, he did ask for positive experiences a few weeks ago. I sent mine in.
That's good to know!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I sent this:

While expecting my child, I wanted to have a homebirth. After hearing about the wonderful experiences my friends had with a local midwife, my husband and I made the decision to have a home birth. The most important thing to us was of course, having a healthy baby. The prenatal care was the best I had before or since. The birth itself was perfect and my 9.5 pound baby was born in a loving, safe, and clean environment. This is in stark contrast to the birthing experiences I had before and since in the hospital.
It is my sincere hope that you will reconsider the idea of bashing natural birthing. With some research you will find that homebirths are in fact more safe for both mother and baby. Hospital births certainly have their place, but I don't see who you could possibly help by discouraging homebirthing.
The only problem with midwives is that there are not enough of them. Many areas of the country do not have midwives to service them because of the red tape and huge amount of scrutiny and misconceptions surrounding homebirthing.

To answer the questions in the promt:

Did you have a child at your home?
Yes, and I did.

Did you want to have a soothing experience where you were in control and could bond with your child?
Yes, and I did.

Did it not go the way you planned?
No. My homebirth is the only birth that did go as planned. I attribute that to the excellent care and guidance of my midwife.

Do you regret having a home birth?
No.

Do you regret using a midwife instead of going to a hospital?
No. I do not regret using my midwife. I do regret having the two hospital births with OBs. I would have been much better off to have had my babies at home and they would have been, too.

Did you have your second child the traditional way in a hospital?
First baby was born in the hospital, second at home, third in the hospital.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or with an explanation of why you are looking to discourage people from having safe and natural births with qualified experienced guidance.