Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
browneyedgrl2411
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
To vaccinate or not?? great articles over dangers of non vaccinations!!

Read these articles, I think it is scary.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26291109/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26269069/

Advertisement

browneyedgrl2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To vaccinate or not?? great articles over dangers of non vaccinations!!

ummm thanks..

As long as your child is vacc'ed you don't have to worry right
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great articles!
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see how my child, who isn't vaxed with MMR or Varicella, would hurt your child who is vaxed if the shots really work. Where's the logic in that? I'd think my child would be more at risk. Those articles just show how illogical the argument that unvaxed kids put vaxed kids at risk really is.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

On Thursday, government health officials reported that the number of measles cases in the U.S. has reached its highest level in over a decade, with nearly half the cases involving children whose parents object to immunizations.

Yes but the other half were vaccinated. That is an equal statistic. The kids vaccinated were half of the reported cases and the kids not vaccinated were the other half. That doesn't worry me. I want to know why it is that 50% of those cases were kids who DID get the vaccination. I'm sorry, I myself almost died from a vaccine as a small child, nothing scares me more than that. I'm not trying to start an argument, but when I read this a few weeks ago I had to point that out to my husband too. If you look at the statistics only, and not the article, it's a different story than the one printed. To each his own though, if people do the research and feel like the benefits outweigh the risks, then I say go for it. Many, many, many children ARE vaccinated with no problems, but with my history of a bad reaction as a child, and our religious views against abortion, we made the decision that was right for us. Some children I believe are more susceptable to the affects of the vaccines than others, possibly my son being one of them based on family history. It's a very personal decision for each parent to have to make. Mary Beth Chapman, who lost her daughter in a tragic accident and whose husband is Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman, said, " Part of me doesn't care how many lives are changed by this. I want my daughter back. If I could have her back, I honestly don't care about lives changed by this." I have to say the same thing. I just wanted to shed some light on the statistics though, so I digress.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
browneyedgrl2411
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You obviuosly did not read the entire article then. It takes a collective amount to protect the entire community. thus herd immunity. The unvaccinated kids could create the outbreak. And vaccines are not always 100% effective. therfore 1 child gets it, gives it to all the unvaccinated children and the ones that were not entitely protected by their vaccine and now it turns to a epedmic. allowing diseases to come back into the population. Anyway just food for thought! there are completely understandable reasons that apply.

Last edited by browneyedgrl2411; 08-31-2008 at 09:46 AM.
browneyedgrl2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
MamaSpi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I don't see how my child, who isn't vaxed with MMR or Varicella, would hurt your child who is vaxed if the shots really work. Where's the logic in that? I'd think my child would be more at risk. Those articles just show how illogical the argument that unvaxed kids put vaxed kids at risk really is.
I think its the sensationalist media. Oh no! Chickenpox! Didn't I have that once?

I vaccinate my kids with the exception of a few "new" vaccines. I have no problem with parents who don't vaccinate. To me, you can't say how wonderful and great vaxes are and then worry that an unvaxed kid will make yours sick. Makes no sense.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgrl2411 View Post
You obviuosly did not read the entire article then. It takes a collective amount to protect the entire community. thus herd immunity. The unvaccinated kids could create the outbreak. And vaccines are not always 100% effective. therfore 1 child gets it, gives it to all the unvaccinated children and the ones that were not entitely protected by their vaccine and now it turns to a epedmic. allowing diseases to come back into the population. Anyway just food for thought! there are completely understandable reasons that apply.
So you are saying that unvaccinated children caused the epidemic, which caused an equal amount of vaccinated people to catch the disease? All those people's vaccines were ineffective? That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the vaccine if an equal amount of vaccinated people can get the disease as the unvaccinated people.

In a lot of these statistics they say that most of the people who contract the disease are people who are not vaccinated or whose status is unknown. What they don't say is that 90% of these "unvaccinated" people are adults whose immunity has worn off or who don't have records of their immunity, NOT children whose parents have decided not to vaccinate them. These articles present statistics in a misleading manner.

Baltic Creations co-op now open

Last edited by lydiamom; 08-31-2008 at 10:14 AM.
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

It just doesn't make sense to me. If your children are vax'ed and you believe in the efficacy of the vaxes, then why be so worried? Shouldn't it be the non-vax'ing parents who worry?
I agree that most studies and 'mainstream' media articles are not unbiased information.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
So you are saying that unvaccinated children caused the epidemic, which caused an equal amount of vaccinated people to catch the disease? All those people's vaccines were ineffective? That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the vaccine if an equal amount of vaccinated people can get the disease as the unvaccinated people.

In a lot of these statistics they say that most of the people who contract the disease are people who are not vaccinated or whose status is unknown. What they don't say is that 90% of these "unvaccinated" people are adults whose immunity has worn off or who don't have records of their immunity, NOT children whose parents have decided not to vaccinate them. These articles present statistics in a misleading manner.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote