Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

What is your version of co-sleeping? having sleep issues...

Is your little one in the bed with you? Or next to you in a "co-sleeping" bassinet?

My dd will go down for the night in her co-sleeper bassinet (it is attached to our bed and on the same level). BUT for the last week she won't go back down after her night feed. She eats great, falls a sleep but wakes the minute I put her back in her bed. If I lay her down to nurse (side lying) she stays a sleep but I am worried about her getting a bad latch and causing sore nipples or clogged ducts - I have chronic problems with both.
What am I to do? She stays up from 2 to 4 or last night it was 3 to 6! My dh and I are exhausted. Please tell me it is a phase or just sleeping with her will solve it.

Advertisement

CarolinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your version of co-sleeping? having sleep issues...

My son is now11mo old and since day one he has slept with us in bed, we pretty much only nurse laying side by side now, for us it's the most comfortable
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
SamanthaE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is almost 4 months and since I brought her home from the hospital I have had her in bed with me. I have a history of mastitis but if you are only nursing side lying at night you should be fine. You know your body.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
cindylou1979
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a co sleeper and he sleeps there but every once and a while he needs to sleep right beside me but not always.
cindylou1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my girls have slept with us in the same bed. DD1 until she was 5, DD2 until age 4 and DD3 still there
Old 08-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
amldaley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 4 1/2 wks old. She prefers to sleep on me, or w/ dh or my mother on a pillow in their laps. but that's not always possible! i am too paranoid to let her sleep with me most of the time. so, we have a routine that mostly works: nurse, nap on me, walk and rock, swaddle, walk agai and into the co-sleeper. the post nursing routine taks 12 - 15 minutes (if she burps).

ISO bamboo and zorb inserts, truely EUC Tiny Tush Elites, long rise AIO's, a Yamo, a Scootababy !
amldaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
fiercetigress
Registered Users

My DD is 7 mos. old and has slept in bed with us almost every night since birth. A couple of times she has slept in the crib next to our bed, and sometimes during the day we'll place her in the crib to sleep (if we can), especially when we have work to do and need to leave the room.

I live in India, and here co-sleeping in the bed is the "norm" even until over age 5. Double beds here are U.S. king-sized, so there's plenty of room. She sleeps in between me and my husband, but most of the time is on my side right next to me. She just naturally gravitates towards me.

I also often nurse while laying down, especially at night or early morning. It's easier for me to get back to sleep. In the beginning, I was nervous about rolling on her or harming her, but not anymore. Even in my sleep, I always seem to know where she is. I've even woken up on the opposite side I fell asleep on without doing anything to her. (I often fall asleep on my left side, but my right side is far more comfortable for me.)

--Rochelle
fiercetigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
lisad1
Registered Users

my dd sleeps right in our bed as well. She naps there too. If I try to move her once she is asleep she usually wakes up. We have always gotten the most sleep this way - very rarely do we get out of bed in the night. It's nice too at my dd's age (11 months) as she doesn't want to be held or cuddled much anymore - we can get all our cuddles in at night while she's nursing and sleeping
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
PoconoPrincess
Registered Users

I have a beautiful handmade cradle, that my father made for my son, sitting right next to my bed. I cant bear to sleep with out him tho... So basically he is in my bed all the time. I never use the cradle and I feel guilty since my father made it. He does go in it on occasision, but thats usually for a nap during the day so mommy can do something... I feed him lying down at night, and usually sitting up during the day...
PoconoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
mrscakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMama View Post
My dd will go down for the night in her co-sleeper bassinet (it is attached to our bed and on the same level). BUT for the last week she won't go back down after her night feed. She eats great, falls a sleep but wakes the minute I put her back in her bed. If I lay her down to nurse (side lying) she stays a sleep
This is exactly how Z was at about 2-3 months old. He used to sleep in the sidecar co-sleeper but then he just stopped wanting to be in it. Just like your DD, he would be immediately awake as soon as I put him down. He would fall asleep nursing in bed and stay asleep, so we just started letting him stay. He's 9 months old now and he goes to sleep in his crib at his bedtime around 7-8. Then when he wakes up to nurse (sometimes when we go to bed, sometimes not for a few more hours) I bring him to bed, lay on my side, he latches on and we both go to sleep. It works just fine for us.