Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
angbaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy If I hear one more time....

Ok my LO just turned 5 months and is not showing ANY signs of being ready or wanting solids yet, he's EBF and eats well and he's a good 16 lbs. But MAN if one more person asks me why I haven't started solids yet or what I'm waiting for I may just growl at them! It's ok to EBF him until a year right? I mean if he shows signs that he's ready sure I'll give him some but WHAT IS THE RUSH???

needs some support mamas...

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If I hear one more time....

Um, I think a year is a bit much, but my ds turns 6 mos next week. I think we're going to dabble a bit in some things, but I'm not too worried about it. He doesn't show too much in the hunger department either. People should mind their own business!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

Sure, no need to start solids until you feel like it-they're not really necessary before 1 year. We didn't really get going until 8 months and BM is still the main food for my guy. Just practice your selective hearing skills and tune out the naysayers and well-meaners
Old 08-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My ds is almost 10mo and he's still EBF. He acts like he wants food but he mostly just plays with dried fruit bits, rice/fruit puffs, dehydrated snap peas. He won't eat baby food or cereal, he doesn't drink juice, in fact, he doesn't even take a bottle! I'm guessing when he's ready he will. With my other Ds, he finally started some cereal and mashed table food about 9-10mo largely due to the fact that my supply dropped majorly about 6-10 weeks into my next pregnancy. When it picked up again, he went back to nursing 99% of the time and self weaned @16mo just before the baby was born. My dd, well, she was bottlefed from 4mo so I started her on solids around 4-6mo. All said, it does seem strange to me to see some of my friends giving cereal and babyfood to their 3-6 mo as a *big* part of their diet. And yes, I get to feeling grouched when people ask why I don't feed him anything other than my milk. After all, he certainly isn't starving!!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

A year is just fine especailly if there is a risk of food allergies. I heard the same because we didn't start LO on any foods until after 6 months adn people were convinced he was being starved. Duh, he has thunder thighs and it's pretty obvious he wasn't being starved!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

EBF until a year old is completely fine! Food before then is for taste and texture, not nutritional value. In fact Mad was almost EBF for a year. She had no real interest in food.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD EBF to about 14 mths then she began to pick off my plate never had any baby food. CLW at age 4 right after i had DS.
DS EBF until...now and will CLW and he is 1 yr and kinda starting to pick at my plate he also likes a tiny bit of homemade mashed sweet potato or apples, But still i make a lot of milk and bm is still his main nutrition. We will definitely extend bf as it provides unique complex nutrition, antibodies and comfort
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
angbaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

skyercisson what is CLW?
keep it commin mama's you're so great!! I needed to hear all this, It's all just a trust your gut kind of deal and read the signs isn't it?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbaby1 View Post
skyercisson what is CLW?
CLW (child led weaning)
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbaby1 View Post
keep it commin mama's you're so great!! I needed to hear all this, It's all just a trust your gut kind of deal and read the signs isn't it?
yup with dd i heard it all....blah, blah. She was not remotely interested in solid food as i said until well after a year. She is healthy and a very healthy eater friuts/veggies etc.... we took cues from our LO

sorry about sp... NAK