Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:
Re: If I hear one more time....

no she doesn't need anything else until a year or older. don't let anybody try to tell you any different mama- just follow your instinct and everything will be fine!

Advertisement

bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with most of the other PPs. EBF for a year is fine. Food before then really doesn't do much other than let them explore with taste, texture, and whatnot.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedgyal View Post
EBF until a year old is completely fine! Food before then is for taste and texture, not nutritional value. In fact Mad was almost EBF for a year. She had no real interest in food.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Follow your LO's lead! My DS will be 6 mos in a couple weeks. We'll begin introducing some foods soon and kind of let him set the pace. Who cares what everyone else says. They can do what they want when it's their child.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Exactly for me it was hard though because DH was set for food - so she turned 6 m and we do 1 baby spoon of baby oatmeal with 4 baby spoons of BM once a day. It keeps daddy happy and transitions her tummy slowly.
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
tandemBFmamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm with you mama. I'm going to my MIL this weekend and I can just hear it already. My son is 7 1/2 months old and eats some solids but really could care less about it and is the happiest baby I know. Hopefully she doesn't notice that I'm also still nursing my 2 1/2 year old. Then **** will really hit the fan..... All the facts in the world don't mean anything to a person who truly believes you are starving your baby if you don't give them pureed crap.
Fortunately, my DH is also with me on this so at least I have his support but still. It really sucks to not have support from people around you.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
VelouriaMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that there's no rush to start solids. We didn't start until 7 months. I wouldn't wait a whole year though b/c babies are more accepting of different textures (and possibly flavors) when they're younger. My baby didn't really like the soft chunks I gave her to self-feed but she LOVES purees. Sometimes it's hard to spoon it in there fast enough. I actually think purees are great for baby stomachs because it's much easier to absorb nutrients from them. She still gets weirded out by some textures (like thick rice cereal) but we'll be working up to chunks soon. Oh and she loves to feed herself organic cheerio-type cereal. She could mash them up really well with her gums when she only had a couple teeth but now that she has 8 teeth she actually crunches them. So cute!

Last edited by VelouriaMom; 09-18-2008 at 10:01 AM.
VelouriaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kudos to you for listening to your child. You are right! They all have different schedules too. No need to rush. Why do people always want to rush babies into growing up? If I could do it over again, I would definitely wait a little longer and skip even trying the mashed baby jar crud. DS was interested in food early on, had great head control, etc. but it really picked up around 7 1/2 months and then he learned how to feed himself on all table food. Once I gave up thinking he had to have x number of jars and just let him lead the way, it felt so much more natural. I started with thicker baby oatmeal, now he eats whatever we are eating. He threw lots of food, played with it...then one day started to eat it! Trust your instincts...I think when they are ready they will let you know!
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
mamammiaof1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbaby1 View Post
Ok my LO just turned 5 months and is not showing ANY signs of being ready or wanting solids yet, he's EBF and eats well and he's a good 16 lbs. But MAN if one more person asks me why I haven't started solids yet or what I'm waiting for I may just growl at them! It's ok to EBF him until a year right? I mean if he shows signs that he's ready sure I'll give him some but WHAT IS THE RUSH???

needs some support mamas...
Amen@!!!! I'm totally feeling you here.
mamammiaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we just started 'experimenting' at 6 1/2 months.
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote