Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #61
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If I hear one more time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_m_adams View Post
This is why we don't frequent my MILs any more, she used to watch my youngest son and started him on cereal at 4 1/2 mo (even tho I pumped and left plenty of milk and EBF on my days off and he was FINE!) she said he was "hungry" and that it was easier to feed him from a spoon. Good thing he didnt have allergies like my DD. People are rude and "put off" by EBF, it's almost as if they want to jeopardize your efforts.
I know how you guys feel! everyone is bugging me about starting bela on solids, since she was like 3 months! im like woa!!!! two people even tried feeding her behind my back! that pisses me off, how damn rude is that? seriously people need to mind their own business. you know what i do when my inlaws ask me anything i give short responses no room for discussion or explanations, its my decision and i dont need to justify it with anyone other than her father.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #62
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ndancer View Post
I'm having the same problem with my own husband! He knows that I don't want to start solids until she's 6 months...1 more month. But, he's been goofing off about giving her tastes for the past 2 months! It is really irritating! But, now that she's 5 months, she's trying to grab food and drinks from my hands. I'm just not ready for her to be ready for foods, yet.

24 lbs?? Wowzer!!

Our dr told us at the 4 month checkup that we could start her on cereal at that time. But, I told her that we weren't planning on introducing any solids until at least 6 months and that I know of mamas who don't until 1 year. She looked a little surprised, but supported our decision. Now it looks like I'll have to take it back...about the 6 month mark...
i know !! its so frustrating, i really need the help so its a blessing to have my inlaws care for the baby an hour a day but i dont trust them, im like god please dont be feeding my daughter behind my back!! oh and just for kicks let me share what happened this weekend. it was my aunts bday party and she thought it was funny to put a finger full of cake frosting in my 5month olds mouth! i almost kicked her ***..... on her bday, lol!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #63
angbaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hugs to all the mama's! 64 replies to this WOW guess i'm NOT the only one huh?!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #64
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is 7 months old and stille exclusively breastfed. He has thrived on breastmilk and seems quite content with it. He watches us eat, as he watches EVERYTHING closely, but otherwise doesn't show much interest in food.

I've had several people ask "what is he eating" and when I say that he's just nursing I get some weird remarks. I don't really care, though, because I've already asked his pediatrician about it and we agree he's doing fine without solids.

Just keep doing what you feel is best and try not to worry about what other people say
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #65
haydensmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

EBF for a year is fine.. actually it's really great, props to you mama! He doesn't need anything other than your breast milk I feel ya! We started at 7 months & I swear I had to watch my family members or they'd be shoving food down her throat!

*hugs*
haydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #66
haydensmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh & what annoyed me most was when people would say, 'well you'd get more sleep if you gave her solids.' Guess what, I NEVER complained about not getting any sleep. Then adding the pressure is I have a cousin 2 weeks younger then Hayden & it's a constant comparison (he's formula fed & we have basically complete opposite ideas on parenting).

Oh, more *hugs* mama!
haydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #67
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get a lot of comparisons between my son and his cousin, who is 3.5 months older...especially with the in-laws. My nephew was breastfed but my SIL started solids at 4 months. My son takes soy formula because 7 years ago I had surgery on my breasts to remove tissue, so even though I made lots of milk I couldn't get it *out*...which lead to mastitis...and a hungry baby...anyways, we haven't started solids yet at all, and he'll be 5 months old on Saturday. I wish I could have breastfed because Aidan has such a senstitive tummy and I feel like he would have done so much better on breast milk...but alas...

We did have an interesting experience this morning. My husband was holding Aidan on his lap at Perkins and when the waitress came with our breakfast (big stack of blueberry pancakes with whipped cream) you should have seen the look on his face! Wide eyed, he swooped down and definitely tried to grab for it. Nearly succeeded too, if the blueberry stain on his sleeve is any indication! So funny! I'm sure he wasn't grabbing because he wanted to eat - it was just something new and exciting so he wanted to check it out...which of course involves shoving anything he can get his hands on into his mouth.

Oh and I should also mention that my formula fed baby started sleeping 8 hours by about 2 months old, and by 12 weeks was sleeping 12. We did have a bad 2 weeks this month with the growth spurt, (he woke up every TWO hours...ugh), but we got through it and now he's back to sleeping 12 again. I can defintiely see why some moms think their baby needs solids after going through that...but if you can wait it out, seems like it's ok again for a while. He does take 5-6oz at each feeding now (every 2.5-3hrs).
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #68
hannahnana'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will know when he is ready for solids....I went through this to with my mother and so I tried and it just frustrated both me and the baby because she wasn't ready.
hannahnana'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #69
Ember
Registered
seller

My Mood:

We started solids at 5 and a half months, but it was only a little every now and then. My LO just turned 6 months and absolutely LOVES food. He's been trying to get into our food for months, but we just recently let him start trying more. I still only do a small jar once a day, just because he really seems to love it and seriously gobbles the stuff right up.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #70
nanatimes2
Registered

My Mood:

Kidos will eat when they are hungry and want table food. You will know when it is time. My grandson started eatting table food and jar food at 8 months and he love his food. He is BF also. They will let you know when the time is right. Our kids didnt come with instructions. But everybody thinks that they did with all of the advice and books out there. Just go with you guttes and you will know when to start the solids. Bless you and yours.
nanatimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote