Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

Irritated Penis

Hi, my ds is 9 weeks old and my first boy and this morning the tip of his penis (uncirced so actually foreskin) is red, swollen, and irritated to the point of having like cracks/scratches on it. I didn't notice anything yesterday. He is cloth diapered and hasn't had a rash or any other irritation before. I put some diaper cream that I got from the health food store on it today, it's zinc based. Is that ok? Anything else I need to be doing? He's been super grouchy the last few days and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. I have no clue about penises, girls are so much easier!

Advertisement

www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Irritated Penis

My friend's son has that problem when he wears fitteds over night...maybe his dipes are too rough on his tender skin?
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Use some vaseline or other oil on it and keep it dry. Just make sure you change him the minute he pees or even leave the dipe off and lay him on a wool or otherwise waterproof pad. Oh, and make sure he nurses alot, dehydration can make the urine more acid and cause it to get worse. It happens sometimes- circ'd and uncirc'd. (At least it has to both my boys and one is circ'd and the other is not. Oh yeah, make sure you wash it well when he poops and in his bath- just use a washcloth and wash it just like you would a finger or toe.

Last edited by Sewing4Girls; 08-31-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Sewing4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfor12 View Post
Use some vaseline or other oil on it and keep it dry. Just make sure you change him the minute he pees or even leave the dipe off and lay him on a wool or otherwise waterproof pad. Oh, and make sure he nurses alot, dehydration can make the urine more acid and cause it to get worse. It happens sometimes- circ'd and uncirc'd. (At least it has to both my boys and one is circ'd and the other is not. Oh yeah, make sure you wash it well when he poops and in his bath- just use a washcloth and wash it just like you would a finger or toe.
I wouldn't use Vaseline or oil on it if you are usind CDs. That will not wash out and cause the dipes to repel. Use something zinc based...
Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could definitely be the CDs. My sister uses disposables but my nephew was allergic to that particular brand and his penis was soooo red, it was heartbreaking. She switched and he's done fine ever since. You might try to strip the diapers, or switch soaps. Poor fella.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabug View Post
I wouldn't use Vaseline or oil on it if you are usind CDs. That will not wash out and cause the dipes to repel. Use something zinc based...
Actually vaseline or aquaphor will do a better job of healing it. The baby's health is more impt that the diaper- use a liner.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

So vasaline is better than something zinc based? The stuff I have has org sunflower seed oil, calendula and chamomile extracts, sweet almond, jojoba and safflower seed oils, aloe, and a,d and e vitamins, along with 25% zing oxide.
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so sorry, mama! it's so sad when our little ones are not feeling so good! lots of naky time, maybe a stay-dry liner, and some warm baths in baking soda should help.

if it gets worse and you think it's infected, don't give your ds antibiotics unless the dr swabs the tip of the penis (he does not need to pull the foreskin back to do this) and cultures it. yeast, bacterial, fungal, and viral infections (and normal irritation from normal separation) can all have the same symptoms. there is no way for your doctor to know what is happening w/o a culture. i know from personal experience that unnecessary antibiotics can lead to a lot of increased infection.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana'sClothesline View Post
So vasaline is better than something zinc based? The stuff I have has org sunflower seed oil, calendula and chamomile extracts, sweet almond, jojoba and safflower seed oils, aloe, and a,d and e vitamins, along with 25% zing oxide.
I would think this would be just fine, Vaseline is petroleum based and would not allow for much air...more healthy than Vaseline. This should not need a liner in cds, but it wouldn't hurt!! And, yes, I am concerned about baby's health...I was just making sure she knew about Vaseline and cds.
Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do NOT pull the foreskin back -- not even a little bit. If you are tugging back on it even a little bit it can cause irritation.

having said that, it's not uncommon for my boys to get a little red and sore at the tip of their penises. My DS#1 has never had trouble with any particular kind of diaper, just if he's left in it too long, but DS#2 can't use BGs or any kind of diaper without a fleece-type liner (like Dream-Eze AIOs and lots of fitteds) or his penis gets red and sore. Try a barrier cream and thin fleece liners and see if that helps.