View Poll Results: Should kids be forced to share their toys with their siblings?
Most toys belong to individuals only and kids can reserve the right to not share. 13 11.21%
It's okay to have individual toys, but they must be shared. 83 71.55%
Other 20 17.24%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
mikoto127
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Question about How Your Kids "Share" Their Toys

I think that some toys should be the kids exclusively (like Ky's *favorite* toy is his Puppy, and I wouldn't make him share it with anyone) but there should also be some toys that are community toys!! It should be the LO's favorite toys though...and not just "THAT'S MY NEW FAVORITE"...which defeats the purpose.

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

Our kids are 7 years apart so DS (18 mos) can play with whatever our two older kids give him (less appealing toys to them) as long as there are no small parts. I let my kids decide on what they give him to play with, DS thinks it's special either way, just becuase they are his older brothers/sisters toys.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
emmiebaur
Registered Users
seller

We're trying to teach our two to put others first, so sharing toys is a big one! I tell DD if she won't share a particular toy, then she can only play with it when no one else is around (like during DS's nap). But if she has a toy she's not playing with and DS picks it up, she has to share. It also teaches her to pick up things when she's done because sometimes she does NOT want to share. She has some jerwelry/dress up things that are age inappropriate for DS so I wouldn't make her share those; I'd have her put them away. So she does have things I won't make her share with DS, but it's circumstancial. Generally, she has to share.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
carebear1779
Registered Users
seller
seller

In our house everything is community property and we almost never have issues of someone not wanting to share. All toys are in the playroom, as bedrooms are for sleeping.

I really have never understood why a parent (or anyone else) would encourage a child to be selfish and possessive of material items. They are after all just toys.
Wife to my Don and home birthing, home schooling, Non-vaxing, Kinda-crunchy, intactivist mom/stepmom to A 1990, J 1991, S 1994, C 1996, M 1999, B 2002, A 2005, R 2005, L 2006, G 2007 , K 2011 and our newest addition due May 2014
Always missing O 11/1/200-1/9/2001
carebear1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most toys in our house are community property with the exception of very special toys that our older two have decided they want to keep in their rooms. There are also some toys that are not age appropriate for the younger dd, so the older two are not expected to share those with her.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids play with each other's toys and the "community" toys. However, if there is something someone doesn't want to share. My older DD has a cell phone with games on it. My DD is supposed to keep it in her room. My DS knows it is his sister's and he is not allowed to touch it. There are times he has and I have sat him time out. I think it is important to establish some boundaries because they can't go around thinking anything they see is ok to play with, KWIM?

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

i voted other, all but a handful of toys are communal, they each have a few special things that they don't have to share unless they want to.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
jollygoodANDgreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We struggle with this all day every day. While they definitely have toys that are "their own" I encourage them to find opportunities to be gracious and share. Rarely works as smooth as I'd like but that's what I try to enforce.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #19
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I put that they need to share but we do let them put special items up and they don't have to share those as long as they aren't mean about it. We do have the children ask to play with the item if it belongs to someone else. They are all usually willing to share when asked in the right manner.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #20
cjbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our kids are all 16 months apart in age, so it may be different for other families, whose children are further apart.
Each of ours has their lovey and special blanket that they under no circumstances have to share. Everything else is community property and so far we actually have very little problems. It also helps when other kids come over because they don't really have toys that are "mine".
I imagine, however, that as they get older this will change and they'll have more "individual" toys.
(I chose other, btw...)
Fan me on Facebook!!
cjbug is offline   Reply With Quote