Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
veggie mamas please tell me about it!

we are very seriously thinking of going veggie. for various reasons. can you please tell me some health benefits, things that may need to be supplimented, vitimans etc and protien? and what kinds of things do you really try to add to your diet. any well any other info you think is great to know in helping us decide! thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: veggie mamas please tell me about it!

Answered you in the other forum, but I think an important thing to consider is to make sure your diet contains ample DHA/omega-3 fatty acids. IMO the rest comes easily.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have been thinking about this to for myself and dd. My dh wont go for it, he has to have his meat. But the jokes on him, cuz I have already started giving him veggie meat in meals instead of beef, and sometimes I will do beans. Then sometimes I will actually give him beef, I guess!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL sometimes they just dont know the difference! dh is on board for this although its going to be a bit of a challenge as he is a picky eater. but i have hidden blended up beans in spagettii sauce many times! this is going to be an adventure! first poster, you make some fancy lunches!! lucky boy!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:

vegan or vegetarian? I've been both (one or the other) for my whole life. what do you want to know?

supplement wise a lacto-ovo vegetarian (eggs and dairy but no meat) you really don't need anything. vegans need to be more careful about their nutrition especially in terms of iron, calcium and b-12. some supplement and others are just very careful in dietary planning.
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Meadowmother
Registered Users
seller

Congrats on making such an important decision. I grew up vegetarian with eggs,but if you don't want eggs there are a lot of egg replacers. I use TVP a lot!! You can use it for tacos, sloppy joes, chili, speghetti sauce, lasagna. I also use a lot of beans for burritos, enchiladas, dips (black bean dip yummmm). I take a multivitamin every day to be safe. I got through 2 pregnancies as a vegetarian and had 2 very healthy babies that are being raised veggie (one chunker). So we are all very healthy, just make sure you are getting a protein with your meals.

Also pay attention to the ingredients on packaging. You would not believe how many things are made with chicken fat.
Meadowmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
CaseyJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been vegan for 5 years and love it! I've tried so many things that I probably never would have tried had I not become vegan.
My favorite cookbooks are Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon, both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
The most important things to watch out for are vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega 3.
Good luck!