Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
ColoradoMom
Registered Users

Thumbs down Blood in the diaper

My DH and I noticed the last few days that Gavin had some rashy areas around the top of his penis and that the actual hole (urethra) was pink. So I began putting A&D ointment on it with a liner and it seemed to cleared up over night. Just a tinge pinkish.

Then tonight DH brought him into to me while I was stuffing clean dipes to show me that the pink patch on the urethra was "broken" looking and left blood streaks in the diaper.

What could it be?

I use a combo of GMD prefolds and BumGenius. I haven't stripped the dipes in a few weeks but I haven't felt I needed to as they are absorbant. But do you think it is something in the diapers?

I put him in a sopsie for the night with TONS of A&D so we'll see what happens. He has a 9 month check up on Friday so if this is still an issue I'll ask the doc then.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Gavin 3/18/2008
ColoradoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blood in the diaper

Do you have ammonia issues with your diapers? That could be it.
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
MPwifey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure but I hope your LO isn't in too much pain over this.

Is there any white spots or discharge? It could be a yeast infection.

Loving my hubby, momma to baby girl.
MPwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Mayghan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow that sounds too familiar!!!

We brought ds to the dr the first time, was told it was dry skin put bum cream, then that didnt help so she gave us a cream. Then one night it was really really red and we went to the ER, another cream... Anyways we saw our family doc 2 times before we went to see a urologist, they were suspecting that his hole wasn't big enough and thats what was causing it, the uro had us stop all creams to see if it would be away, we showed DH's dad (dermatologist) and went back to the uro and both said it was exema. Its been sooo frustrating. We now got an excema cream precribed and it cleared it up completely.

Sorry if I am rambling, Im exhausted and can't seem to concentrate tonight!

Last edited by Mayghan; 01-14-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Mayghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
ColoradoMom
Registered Users

I don't think it is yeast, but I am open to the idea to be treated as such. The BGs do have the pee smell most washes but I use TTO and/or Bac-Out at least once a week to keep that all at bay.

I'd hate to find out it is the cloth, as we have really found cloth easy and affordable. I plan to use the A&D all day tomorrow with the last of the sopsies I have to see how it clears up. I may strip the diapers too just to see if there is something irratating him in the dipe.

Thanks fo all the thoughts and ideas, ladies!
Gavin 3/18/2008
ColoradoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is this on the front or back of his penis? My DS (non-circ) developed a rash with broken skin on the around the urethra but on bottom of his penis (I guess from it constantly being smashed up against his testicles and getting no air) and we started putting a little piece of fleece and wrapping his penis like a burrito with some cream(I know, TMI) in the fleece so none of it was touching wetness but he could pee freely. It cleared up the problem,and now I make sure to powder that space regularly. It wasn't easy to wrap it and PID quickly enough to get the dipe on but we got good at it.

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my oldest was much younger, he would get very red and even have a lot of peeling skin all over his penis. We tried diaper cream, antifungal cream, different prescription creams, etc. Finally, our doctor ran out of options and sent us to the dermatologist. It turns out, he has psoriasis in his genital area and even on his bottom. He now uses a prescription cream for that and it keeps it at bay. I don't if that's helpful or not, but thought I'd mention it for what it's worth. Good luck and I hope your doc figures out what it is!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

That happened to my son when I had ammonia in the diapers and didn't realize it. Do the diapers smell strong when they are wet?

What I *thought* was a suedecloth allergy was actually ammonia (or some other buildup) on his diapers.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandjennie View Post
That happened to my son when I had ammonia in the diapers and didn't realize it. Do the diapers smell strong when they are wet?

What I *thought* was a suedecloth allergy was actually ammonia (or some other buildup) on his diapers.
We had this SAME issue with DS. It turned out to be ammonia burns. I hope that your DS heals up quickly.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
heather_lynn68
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, it sounds like an ammonia burn to me too. I would strip your diapers. Good Luck!