Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 AM   #121
JKLmama
Registered
Formely: monstersmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

My DH, Best friend and mom all call me a hippy, for more reasons then just the cding, and yes mabey I am a "hippy" but is it so bad that i want to lead a healthy safe life for me and my family. I don't understand why they poke fun at the way I live my life and raise my child. Like i am a vegitarian, and trying to cut out dairy and everyone thinks I am crazy for having my son eat that way. Like how else would I raise him

Advertisement

WELCOME TO THE WORLD BOWEN PIERCE our little Leap baby 2/29
JKLmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #122
Gracielou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only negative comment I've really had came from a friend's mom at his wedding this spring. She couldn't understand why we would choose it if we could afford disposables.

Quite a few of our friends CD too. My best friend's sister was the one who got me thinking about doing it after I saw her CDing her son.
Gracielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #123
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I've gotten strange and surprised looks at the church nursery but no negative comments-nothing compared to the arguments I've gotten into about delay/select vaxing sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #124
clayandcarsonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
To my family I've turned into a huge freak, first there was BF'ing, then recycling, then CD'ing, then taking control of our finances and not using cc's or buying stuff that's not nessisarry to live. I'm a huge hippy in thier eyes now, especially since I currently live in Claifornia. They think they can change me back when we get back to Maine in April... Good Luck on that one! I have all you DS mamas to keep me straight!
:

Good for you!
Sounds just like my family haha
oh well!
clayandcarsonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #125
JStrassberg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't even started CD'ing yet - just mentioning that's what we'll be doing once our baby is home. Some are curious, but most just look at me like I'm insane and then comment that I will never stick it out. I guess they don't know me very well. I told one friend that I was going to talk his wife into CD'ing their baby due in December and he looked like he'd just about kill me if I did. I haven't yet, but I might!

Jen
JStrassberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #126
patricianaps
Registered Users

My Mood:

I get a lot of "well, I wish I had that kind of time." Ppl really don't understand how many options there are compared to 1980, and how little time it takes up.

Sidebar, I love how people think that being a SAHM gives me these OODLES of free time. Ha! I do a daycare out of my house, and I am constantly doing to or from my older daughter's school, and taking care of my house is more than a full time job!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #127
johnnabonna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm the only one I know that cloth diapers and my friends are excepting of it but think that I am making more work for myself for no reason, they don't realize its not that hard to wash them. Pros: I can save money, they are super cute and not as wasteful. Cons: they have to be washed Geez! its a no brainer for me
Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #128
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Most don't even comment - I mean, the only time people mention it is if they see me change her. I had one woman comment on it a couple of weeks ago. I had DD in a blueberry OS pocket and DD was just talking up a storm - she loves public bathrooms because they talk back to her. So she attracted quite a bit of attention of a group of older women coming through, and one noticed I was changing a cloth diaper and said "oh, yeah, my neice is expecting and she's planning to use them. Although I didn't get what she meant by one diaper fitting from birth to potty training, but now that I see yours, I think I understand now." So I showed her how the snaps worked, and she was fascinated.

I did have one other woman comment on them in another bathroom, but that was when I foolishly took DD out in a tester AIO that a friend sent me - she loves to sew and tried her hand at it. She leaked right through it and through her clothes, everywhere. She commented that she didn't think cloth was that absorbant. So I had to explain, but she didn't look convinced. Turns out my friend didn't know what PUL was, and the pattern called for a layer of it hidden, so she left it out. It's a very pretty fitted though....
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #129
scatterchatter
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used to feel that way too at first. I have met some local mommas that use cloth, more than I realized and also converted one. I get it from my family still. We have been CD-ing for like 6m and they still think I am a freak or something! I just try to ignore there weird looks and rude comments.
scatterchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #130
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My friends all think I'm nuts. People definitely treat you different. But I just show how easy it is, and how much money I'm saving. I've been doing it for almost 21 months now, so the "Oh, you'll never stick with it" people have kind of had to back off.

Plus the extra time people had to back off too because I'm in grad school full time, working full time, and still CD. Honestly, if I hadn't bought one size diapers, it would be putting a serious crimp in my tuition money.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote