Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
jadekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

Yeah I've had people act kinda wierd towards me. I just chalk it up to the area I'm living in. It's a really backwards redneck area and I'm very different. I have a LLL group (40 miles away!) that I go to and about 75% of the group is cding. That helps alot!

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont' flaunt it. But people tend to treat me like crap anyway because I cd, bf, dont' wear makeup, etc. I am just "different" and people can sense that. But that's ok because it quickly weeds out the idiots I don't want to waste my time with

The only thing that I hate is when people would steer their kids away from mine if they got a glimpse of the cloth :roll:
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

I will admit when my cousins announced they'd be CDing their child when the were preggers with their first (and so was I) I decided they were CRAZY! all I knew at the time though was you had to wash poop and use pins and I KNEW I'd end up stabbing my baby with the pin! Looking back I can admit I was stupid and judgmental, and wish I'd listened more to them about it.

When I finally found out you don't have to use pins, I decided it wasn't as bad as I thought. Now don't get me wrong, I still think it's crazy to WANT to have to wash poop all day, but hey, I can now happily admit I am crazy!

Now if my son hadn't been allergic to disposables, I likely never would have tried cloth, and I'd still think it was totally crazy instead of just MOSTLY crazy.

For the most part people are interested in them. They think they are cute and are amazed that you don't have to use pins (they have the same preconceptions I did). I've actually convinced about a dozen people around here to at least look into cloth diapering.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

I've not had a problem with people treating me different, just a problem with them not understanding the concept of CDing. I do have to say that if you are feeling this way about your group, maybe start searching for another already started or start one yourself! I think it is very, very important for us mommies to have positive support in the form of other mommies - CDing or not - and it sounds like this group is not providing the support and companionship you are needing. THAT is a problem! You will be a happier moma if you are able to find a circle of friends who accept you for who you are and embrace whatever different choices you make. Snobby people aren't going to do that for you.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
snelson924
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i get a lot of comments on how cute her diapers are, but those comments are QUICKLY followed by "...but i would never be able to do it..." THAT part gets annoying b/c they dont' even give it a try. they just think it's hard. i'm going through that with the family i nanny for right now. i want to CD their boy when he is born, but they think it's too much work. so i'm just trying to get a stash for him on a VERY low budget (mostly trades) but there are so SUPER SWEET mamas on here who have helped me. it's just another stigma to get past.....

snelson924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't found it too bad. I get a couple weird looks, a couple "what are you putting on him? Oh, I didn't know you used cloth!" and that's it, but nothing bad.
All in all, I'm a bit strange, I think, to most of the mamas I know - mostly through my church and moms group. I bf past 12 months, extend rf, use cloth diapers... just different. But I've never been treated badly because of it!
Oh, and I did convert one mama in my moms group to cloth - she was interested, but had no idea what to start with, so I put together a "trial" package with some of my own diapers and let her borrow them for a few weeks. She really liked it!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not really. My MIL thought I was crazy for wanting to CD as she HAD no choice with her first. Pampers weren't invented yet!

She's funny. When she was watching the boys she would use disposables, but I almost always brought them over in cloth. She'd seriously rinse the daylights out of it and then tie it tight in a plastic bag. YUCK! No wonder why she hated them!

Brenda
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
Rebekah3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hahaha DH was teasing me last night about being crunchy. something to the effect of "cding, bfing, glass bottle using, herbalist hippie..... blah blah blah" He knew what he was marrying and he secretly loves it anyway! He tells EVERYONE we are planning to use cloth and doing glass bottles to avoid the chemicals in plastic. So far our biggest negative reaction is that nobody thinks we will actually follow through with it! Both of our families think it is great once we explained the $$ savings and they all used cloth on us "way back when" anyway so my MIL and my Grandmother are really exited to get to change dipes again.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do not live in a place where CD is all so common. There are not any CD stores here or diaper services....but I know there are a few CD mamas around town. I sorta just keep it to ourselves. If someone sees us change a diaper then thats fine. The oddest reaction I got was from our pastor's wife who said to me..."I just can't see how that can be sanitary". I held my tongue but wanted to say...I just don't see how disposing of poop in a landfill is sanitary!! AHHH.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
val0811
Registered Users

My Mood:

I get the I feel sorry for you looks and comments. I don't know why everyone acts as if it is so hard or this catastrophe. We had to change to cloth b/c of rashes and sores, but I feel it is the best thing I have done for my son. I just wish I would have known about it with my other 3. Well I knew there was cloth I just didn't know what cloth had become.
I have had a bad incident at the swim slide and pool where a mom acted as if we were unclean but her child had a swim diaper (little swimmers huggies thing) on the whole day and never changed it once in about 6-8 hours (yet we were unclean). We have had friends over that have a daughter the same age as our son and the mom who is a friend gave me the that's gross look when I said we used cloth. Yet, her child had the most horrible rash and even said she hurt when she had a poopy diaper change.
So on the whole, I have had not necessarily negative reactions but people don't want to hear about it and automatically assume it is the grossest thing ever.
I know I am doing what I should be doing for my son. If people give me that look, I used to try and "sell" them on how great cloth is...but now I just tell them the it is great for us and move on. If they are snubbing you and not just being uninterested in cloth, then I would move on and find a new group. One that could care less what kind of diapers I used.
Val

Last edited by val0811; 09-02-2008 at 12:23 PM.
val0811 is offline   Reply With Quote