Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #41
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

I don't really care to listen to what people have to say if it's negative, so I can only think of one time I was just floored by the stupidity. I was changing ds on the floor (the bathroom was flooded from the toilet overflowing...not going in there!) of the DFR office, and the woman behind the desk said "That is so disgusting, no wonder you're in here! You're gonna make him sick!"
People suck though.

ETA:
I have given some hope to a cloth hopeful though! She is 19, very green, and wants to cd when she has kids, but was really upset over the pins, folding and such. Her face just lit up when I explained what awesome dipes are out there, and that I just use pfs cuz I like them better!

Advertisement

Last edited by nothingtosee; 09-02-2008 at 02:26 PM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #42
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I have been so lucky with my experiences with people. Most people are intriqued when they find out I use cloth and love how cute her diapers (pockets or fitteds/wool) are. The only person that said anything sort of off the cuff was my hairdresser but she just chuckled and said, "don't you know it is 2006 (time of the conversation, lol). So, I showed her what DD wears and she loved it. Later she found an article about Michelle (Muttaqin Baby mama) in a magazine and told me all about it since she recongized the name of the diaper.

The mommy group I am in has a lot of moms that CD (or want to CD) and have been asking questions about it so I have opened our home to anyone that is interested in checking out the dipes.
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #43
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've come across half and half with people responses. Some think I'm the most amazing Mother in the world because I have five sons 8 and under, home school, BF, clean green, make my own laundry detergent, sew and CD. The other half are jealous. I'm sure of it. The way they act gives off a definite jealousy vibe. Like they wish they could be like me, but think they can't so they hate me.

I don't really care what people think.

I have converted one of my friends, talked to some strangers in the store about changing(they were interested and looking at the gerber prefolds ) and I have another friend very interested.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #44
mama z
Registered Users

My Mood:

My IRL circle is AP/crunchy so no one bats an eye. In fact, we talk about CDing quite a bit and b/s/t with each other.
When I'm outside my circle I've mostly gotten remarks about how cool it is.

We were just at a friend's son's bday party on Friday and the grandmother (we are close...she knows how crunchy I am) thought the snappi was the coolest thing ever. The great grandma was there too and she CD'd. I asked her all sorts of washing questions. She said she'd never use a sposie on a baby!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #45
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been really lucky too, but then I don't get out much.
A nurse at the peds office said "Are those cloth diapers your twins have on?"
I said "YUP". She replied "Wow. You're brave."

Not sure what that meant, but I think she was trying to be nice.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #46
patricianaps
Registered Users

My Mood:

mom and dad just called me from sam's club to offer to buy me an economy pack of sposies. hmm.

Cause all I have been talking about is how I'm participating in nonviolence by purchasing materials secondhand so as not to contribute to sweatshops, and doing the labor myself for the same reason, or buying the dipes from WAHMs....

why don't you just offer to purchase the product I REALLY don't want from the evil empire.

But, I know it's out of love. Which is why I thanked them profusely but explained I don't know what size DD is b/c I don't buy sized dipes.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #47
patricianaps
Registered Users

My Mood:

BTW, I got a comment at McDonalds (of all places!) when I was changing LO the very first time I left the house with cd - someone saw my strawberry-print flannel fitted dipes, asked where I got them and told me I should "market that idea! Those are way better than the ones we used to use!"

ROTF!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #48
waa510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm really sorry that you're treated so poorly for CDing, and having lived in Lakeland a couple years ago(well, technically Mulberry but same difference IMO) I'm not surprised. I got the same treatment at Mommy groups. People are just not very AP there and most are very content in their ignorance. I wish I knew of a good Mommy and me group for you to go to..I have heard good things about the LLL in the area though..maybe you should check them out. I know the leader (not sure if she still is though..this was a few yrs ago that we last spoke) and she's very personable and sweet. Hope you find something for you and your LO! Oh, and in that newish outdoor mall plaza-thing in Lakeland (on the way to FSC) with the Kohl's, the movie theater, Chicco's, and Coldstone's has a Gymboree play area place tucked away in the corner near a pizza restaurant. Always wanted to take DD to a Gymboree but they arrived after we moved to North Port.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #49
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have exactly one friend who CD, so I'm pretty much on my own here except for my DS mommas!! But we just made the switch, so not long ago I was the one who looked at CD mommas as weird, hippies, etc. It took a friend I respected telling me she CD to get me doing research on my own. She answered my many questions with ease and was so enthusiastic that I was sold! Plus, it seems EVERYONE has the misconception that CD is all safety pins and cloth. If only they knew how cute the dipes come nowadays!

So keep in mind that people will judge (I sure did) but no worries- I have a feeling it will pick up steam in the not-too-distant-future
Old 09-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #50
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

I expect the weird initial reactions since cding isn't the norm. I am confident with my choice to cloth diaper and I know why I made that choice, so if someone asks me about them or acts strange about them I tell them why I decided on cloth. Both sisters in law are thinking about cloth with their soon coming LOs and a girl from my birthing class is trying cloth right now

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote