Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #51
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

for the most part, people are intrigued at the changes in cloth diaper technology ( couldn't help myself). others sort of crinkle their noses, or make comments about dealing with poop. if i feel like engaging, i'll usually mention that i dealt with a lot more poop with disposable blowouts, noting that this way it's all in a diaper, rather than spread throughout every fold of a three piece outfit. and socks. lol.

Advertisement

aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #52
mcsteph
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find that most people just ask me tons of questions about it...like how they are washed, where I buy them, how many I need, if it takes a lot of time....I have converted a few mamas. Most people are surprised by how cute the diapers are and how simple it is to use them. It seems that people are becoming more environmentally conscious, so I think more mamas will be open to the idea in the near future.

part-time RN, full-time mama to Kyleigh (Feb/07) & Alyssa (Dec/09)
Scentsy consultant www.stephscents.ca
mcsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #53
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the great stories I'm amazed at what crazy things ppl will say to strangers.
I'd love to start a local group for AP moms, but I have no idea how to advertise it.....Maybe the local Craigslist? I wonder if I'd get in trouble for putting it in the baby section?

Whitney: I've considered going to LLL, but they only meet once a month and I don't feel like I'll be able to make friends with such an infrequent group But maybe I should give it a try.

Thanks Mommas! I hope ppls negative attitudes will change over time
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #54
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry you get this reaction. Some people have looked at me like it was weird at first, but I don't care what they think and I think that for some reason people, even strangers, get that about me. We just look like a normal family with an unusual choice, so who cares?

And mama, I have to say; If the Mommy & Me group makes you feel like you're back in a high school lunchroom, stop going Find something else to do with your kiddo and don't subject yourself to something you don't have to do that makes you feel bad just because you think it's the thing you should be doing. There are no CD'ing groups in my area and if there were, I probably would not go regularly. Not because I am anti-social, we just have lots of things we have to do and lots of things we like to do and I would more than likely not make regular time for it.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #55
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the kind words
Update: My hubbys friends came over with his 2.5 yo with nothing on but a saggy diaper and then told me how disgusting cloth diapers are. GRRRR!
This same friend *jokingly* called me a bad mother for drinking soda while breastfeeding. The same guy that doesn't even bath his son! Some ppl are so ignorant.
And as for mommy n me, my hubby works out of state and I'm trying to battle baby blues alone. I try not to stay cooped up in the house all the time. So, that's why I force myself to go to m&m. I've been missing meetings lately, though. I'm doing kindermusik, which is ok, but ds is the youngest there by 6 months. I think I'm gonna try gymboree. They have very age specific classes. Maybe I'll find some friends and convert some new moms to cloth
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #56
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so sorry to hear about all the negative comments you've received. Too bad you're on the other side of the country or I'd invite you over!

I haven't really had any negative comments. Many people we very interested and wanted to see how they worked. Some give me the standard "Wow! I could never do that! I just couldn't do any more laundry!" But I actually like to wash my diapers! It's the other laundry that I hate doing

My husband is now working on trying to get fellow coworkers to give cloth a try. He has even asked if he could bring some of our diapers in to work so he could show them off Can't you just see a guy bringing a bunch of cloth diapers into a cabinetry/millwork shop and showing other guys how to use them!

I hope you find a nice place to meet other moms who will be respectful of your desire to CD.

Last edited by me_just_me; 10-04-2008 at 11:24 PM.
me_just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #57
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'm still pregnant but I've been pretty vocal that I want to CD to people I know. My friends don't necessarily understand it, but they aren't judgemental. I think I'd always bring some disposables if I was going to be having them watch dd, or at least give them easier dipes like pockets or AIOs, but only because I think of babysitting as doing me a favor and I wouldn't want to inconvience them. My mother and MIL both Cded, so they're not unhappy at all, but a little confused to some of the changes since they had a little one. I don't know what strangers will think, but I get the feeling that breastfeeding in public may actually be a bigger issue in the town I live in.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #58
pregodego2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have a problem with it. I think at first people around us were curious about why all of a sudden did we make this change, but then it grew on everyone. Now it is a huge movement in las vegas, and with the people i am around so i don't get much else except "oh how adorable!" or "LOL look what her diaper says!" and then a bunch of question about what kind they are and where to get them.
5x 5k, 3x triathlon, training for first Half Marathon! Blog
pregodego2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #59
melinda3443
Come by and see our boutique balls!
seller

Location: Under a heaping pile of dryer balls in South Tennessee!
My Mood:

Oh no I am so sorry! I haven't had anything like that happen to me yet, luckily the playgroup I was in back home in TX there were a lot of CDing home birthing Mom's and the same thing here in AL/TN, but I can see that happening in some of the other playgroups that are also in the area.

melinda3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #60
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

No, because my playgroup is half-comprised of people from here anyway.

I do get comments from the general public like "wow, that's what cloth looks like now", but as a whole, no really negative comments.