Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
AP mamas....give me some insight/advice!!!

My 21 month old is GREAT about going to bed and taking his naps. He started completely STTN at about 13 months.

He's always been an early to bed early to riser. In bed between 8-9 p.m. and up by 7a.m.

And is also wonderful about his nap time. He would take an early nap around 11am but we try to keep him up until just after lunch about 12:30pm. He sleeps about 2 hours.

He is like clockwork with this.
Well the last week or so, everything is the same, except he has been waking up seriously early. Like 5:30am. Now he used to do this when he was about 10 months old. He had the same schedule. He did have one last feeding at that time around 11pm.

Anyway, any reason he may be suddenly wanting to get up earlier? Could this be more development too? We did try to keep him awake at night until between 9-10pm but he still wakes up earlier than normal.

Or could this just be his schedule now? His own unique personality?
Anyone else deal with this abrupt change in schedule?
It's not like it's that big of deal for me, I just get up. I'm more curious than anything.

Perhaps maybe a more protein based dinner may good? We do pasta's fairly often, but I'm thinking he may need more protein in the evening to satisfy him? Because he sure wakes up hungry! Which is fairly normal anyway.

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: AP mamas....give me some insight/advice!!!

*bump*
Anyone?

And forgot to add:
My DH mentioned maybe cutting out his 1 nap a day. But at only 21 months I don't think this is a good idea personally. He NEEDS that nap. He asks for it! LOL...he goes to the baby gate leading to the bedroom and just looks at me, waiting until we go!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
marusempai
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sometimes kids just do that. My DDs go the other way... suddenly they want to stay up until two am! They are just night owls like their daddy, I guess. Also you mention that he wakes up super hungry... maybe he is getting ready to do a growth spurt, so he just needs breakfast sooner? Either way, if getting up that early works ok for you, I would just roll with it.
marusempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is he at 1 nap or 2? If he has 2, then perhaps cut 1 out. If it is 1 nap, perhaps don't let him sleep longer then 1 1/2 hours.
Or it could just be who he is. I ha early riser kiddo who has always been that.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine has been doing that too lately. Maybe it's something to do with the moon...LOL. IDK. I try to nurse him back to sleep as usual, but it's not been happening lately. I think it will pass soon enough.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snangel View Post
Is he at 1 nap or 2? If he has 2, then perhaps cut 1 out. If it is 1 nap, perhaps don't let him sleep longer then 1 1/2 hours.
Or it could just be who he is. I ha early riser kiddo who has always been that.
He's a 1 nap kiddo now.
Yesterday he actually went down earlier for his nap and slept that 1 1/2 hours and went to bed an hour later and he slept until almost 7:30! I was schocked!

I do think it is his personality mainly. Early to bed, early to rise. Which really doesn't bother me in the long run. I just want to make sure he's getting proper rest and I'm not doing something wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
Mine has been doing that too lately. Maybe it's something to do with the moon...LOL. IDK. I try to nurse him back to sleep as usual, but it's not been happening lately. I think it will pass soon enough.
That darn full moon!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
jebb4
Registered Users

My 21 month old is an early riser too. Usually by 6:00 or 6:30 she's up and at 'em. She naps once a day from 1:00-4:00ish and goes to bed at 7:30 pm.

All four of my kids have been early risers For us there were two things about keeping them up later....A) it didnt make a difference--they STILL woke early and B) I prefer my children in bed at an early hour so even if it had worked I wouldnt have done it that way.

Sometimes kids just want an early start on their day!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb4 View Post
My 21 month old is an early riser too. Usually by 6:00 or 6:30 she's up and at 'em. She naps once a day from 1:00-4:00ish and goes to bed at 7:30 pm.

All four of my kids have been early risers For us there were two things about keeping them up later....A) it didnt make a difference--they STILL woke early and B) I prefer my children in bed at an early hour so even if it had worked I wouldnt have done it that way.

Sometimes kids just want an early start on their day!
I agree, I actually like him in bed early too. Plus it gives me time to unwind and have time to myself to get things done!