Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone have a small (under 6lbs) full term baby?

My DS was 5.5oz and full term less one day...both my husband and I are average size and were both over 7.5lb at birth. There was no know reason was ds was so small. I had a great pregnancy and ate really well.

Anyways....2 years down the road he is now 24lbs and 34inches. Still a real light weight I am wondering if he is naturally small or if something happened in gestation that slowed his growth. Did anyone have a small baby....if so, did they catch up to a more expected size as the years went by?

Advertisement

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a small (under 6lbs) full term baby?

Mia was 5lbs 13oz at her 38 week birth. She is now 24.5lbs and probably around 36" (I should measure her). Just small and petite (well, tall though, lol). My 2nd DD was 6lbs 10oz at 39 weeks (so she would have been probably the same weight if she came out the same time as DD #1). They are following the same exact growth curve, Mia was FF and Elizabeth was BF, so I know it's just genetics and they were born to be small
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son wasn't born small, 7lbs 4oz, but he's only 25lbs and he'll be 3 in Oct. I don't know how tall. He's just small. I don't think the birthweight has anything to do with it after the initial few months of "catch up." My other kids were small, DD only 4lbs 7oz. DS not as small, 6lbs 9oz. Both born at 35wks. They are almost 9 months and both are still very small. DD is only 13lbs and DS is only 14lbs. We just make small kids. I think it's genetics.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did they diagnose him as SGA? (small for gestational age) My 3rd dd was very small (4lbs, 13 oz). My first 2 girls were born at 36 weeks and were about 7 1/2 pounds each. Katie was born at 37 weeks. She had an extra week than them and was almost 3 pounds smaller. They called her sga, said that she would be in the late end or normal for all her milestones and wouldnt really catch up until she is 2. She is now 15 months and just started really walking, says about 4 words, and is a little behind were her sisters were at her age. She is about 17 pounds, not sure how tall, but she is still in 6-9 month clothes. She was actually in the 25th % for height, but not even on the chart in weight. My oldest dd is almost 10 and is tall and skinny, she is already 4 feet 10, my 2nd dd is smaller, she will be 3 in November, and is about 30 pounds. Dot know her height either. I dont know if Bryn or Katie will ever be as tall as Bethany. I am 5 foot 3, dh is 6 foot 3.

Did you find your ds was a little behind other kids?
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

He seems to be on target for other milestones. He actually walked by 11months..which pretty early...and his speech is starting to take off now at 2. I did read that the catch up ususally takes place in the first year or two...so I was curious if he was now "caught up" at 5% on his growth percentile for weight. He was never officially diagnosed, but honestly, I don't think the doc he saw at the time cared too much. We have since switched!
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My first daughter is super tiny. She was 6 lbs, 6 oz at birth and gained sufficient weight by her 2 month well check, but from 4 months on she kept sliding down and down the growth chart (but was growing still.) She didn't hit 20 pounds until between the ages of 2 and 3 and now at 11 years old, she is 50 pounds, 52 inches tall (my 5 year old daughter is also 50 pounds!)

When she was 3 years old, her doctor referred her to a growth clinic just to make sure they hadn't missed something and they put her through a battery of tests. In the end, they concluded that she is just small and totally healthy. They estimated her full grown height to be between 4'11" and 5'1".

My next two kids are "normal" in size. My second child (girl) is on the high side of average (75%) and my third child (boy) is on the low side of average (25%.) My fourth child (boy) is small for his age, too, but still bigger than what my oldest was at this age. He is going to be 2 years old in a few weeks and he weighs maybe 20 pounds and he is 32 inches tall.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd was 5 pounds even at birth and now at almost 21 months she is 19 pounds...she however has GI issues, food allergies and is FTT.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
BabyOsMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was 6lbs at birth (39wk) so a bit bigger than your LO. He is going to be 2 in october and is still fighting to hit the 20lb mark. I measured small (by 2 weeks) my whole pg and now wonder about whether there was some undiagnosed reason. My DH is 5'6 and I am 5'3, so small adults, but I was almost 8lbs and he was almost 10lbs at full term. There is no diagnosis for his size, just that he is small (though I am curious to see what she thinks at his next appt because he has only gained a bit over 8 oz in almost a year).
BabyOsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS's were born at 37w1d and were 5lb 11oz and 5lb 8oz at birth. It took them until their 4 month checkup to measure on the growth chart at all, but by 6 months they were pretty close to the 50th percentile. They've continued to measure on the 50th % ever since, give or take a tiny bit, and they'll be 3 in October. My bigger guy at birth has been the smaller guy since birth though - he's around 32lbs and his brother is around 35lbs now and they're both around 36-37" tall. DH and I are both average sized adults.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
cjbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were born at 36 weeks--ds was 5 lb 1 oz and dd 4 lbs 12 oz. 3rd baby was born at 38 weeks (induced for growth restriction). He was my heaviest at 5 lb 5 oz, but only 17 inches.
Now, ds is 4 and is tall for his age. Still skinny, but weighs a happy 34 ish pounds. DD is petite, but normal (about 23 lbs at 2 years) and ds #3 is is built like a stinkin' fire hydrant! He's about 24 lbs at 12 months...still a little short. But they're all within normal range. For the first few months of their lives, they didn't even make the growth chart!! Instead of a percentile for height and weight, our doc just wrote "peanut".
Fan me on Facebook!!
cjbug is offline   Reply With Quote