Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #31
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you believe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
I have 2 cousins that were breastfed as infants (7 and 9 now) and they saw me breastfeeding and their mother explained that I was feeding them out of my stomach :| She hates when women nurse in public and she nursed 3 months with both of hers and constantly comments on how when SHE nursed she made sure to do it in private. I just don't understand how a mom who nursed herself can think nip is so extremely offensive??
Wow, that's messed up. My youngest sister was 7 (a few weeks away from 8) when Bram was born and even though she had never SEEN anyone nurse, she knew that babies ate that way, just like kittens and puppies, etc. I'm not sure HOW she knew, maybe she just asked one day. Anyway, they were there the day Bram was born and she didn't think it was gross or anything, just kind of giggled about it like any other little kid that had never seen it. She was kind of cute actually, she came over and was like "he's gonna drink milk out of your BOOB???"

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #32
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I understand some people might not be comfortable with it, but I'm not comfortable with all the oversexed covers on the same stands. I just don't stare at them and move on with my day. There are far worse things in life.

As DH said, "Britney Spears showed more boob than that in her last video!" (He seemed almost more upset about it than me, lol) I do understand that the reason it probably created so much uproar is because the people its normally sent to aren't the ones watching britney spears or buying "maxim". They ordered the magazine because its wholesome and about babies. Then the magazine totally suprises them with "nudity" and what some apparently would even consider "****". The part I really don't get is that they ARE mothers. This is something they hopefully do on a daily basis. Even those who don't surely know how good it is for the child. How did their image of their own body become so warped that they can't see it for what it really is? I would venture to guess it was probably how they were brought up, and the sad part is that their children are probably being brought up that same way. Hopefully though, like a pp said, with enough exposure everyone will stop having such an aversion to the whole thing. People are just scared of things they don't know, so if you think about it, just by NIP mamas are helping to prevent stuff like this.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #33
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know other countries do not think of breasts as sexual, that NIP is no big deal. Why is it such a big deal in the U.S.???
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #34
jkelstaten
Registered Users

well, blast me if you will actually I'm not trying to start a fight, just my voice MY personal opinion

I agree the cover is a good thing. More "exposure" needs to be given on the topic of breastfeeding. Plus, that cover doesn't even compare to the magazines you see here. (They are not required to cover **** at magazine stands & my dh can't even look for a newspaper without getting a MAJOR eyeful). The comments those moms made were just immature.

BUT, let me see if I can explain this......
as a VERY modest person (not ashamed of my body, just modest & tasteful) there have been times where another nursing mom has made me uncomfortable because she was not the least be discreet. And my DH was standing in conversation with her. In defense, Dh said he didn't even notice (which is great because she left herself completely uncovered for several minutes) and he doesn't think it's the least bit sexual. My two very young children were standing there & because they haven't experienced this at a time where their memory would work (I did bf, but my oldest was only 14 months when her sister was born) it was uncomfortable for me because I didn't think they were ready for a big explanation & there was no way for me to explain it to them properly without wondering what my 3 yr. old would say in front of this total stranger. (Right now I'm more concerned about teaching my 3 yr. old that she shouldn't allow people to see those parts of her....talking like preventing abuse here because of all the sickos out there, again not teaching her to be ashamed of herself) So for my daughter to get an extended flash doesn't really help what I'm trying to teach her. And teaching my daughter the privacy of her body is important to me because I was abused as a child & didn't have the guts to take up for myself.
I have nip, i have been discreet (for me discreet doesn't necessarily mean covering the baby with a blanket, just making sincere efforts not to show the entire world the entire breast) I have accidentally flashed (thanks to DD#1) a group of male friends. But while, most women ARE discreet, there are women who seem to make it a point to show as much of themselves as possible (like the woman I mentioned above) and I think that's what draws out the negative comments. Please understand, I don't think those comments were right or warranted, but while nip is a woman's right, so is the ability be comfortable in a public place.

(and as I type this my 2 yr. old hands me my bra from the laundry )
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #35
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
All I have to say is, If you have a problem with NIP, please feel free to put a blanket over your head .
Oh that cracked me up! Now that its in my head.....if someone ever gives me grief in public, I'll probably say it!

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #36
ophelia2002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
it was uncomfortable for me because I didn't think they were ready for a big explanation & there was no way for me to explain it to them properly without wondering what my 3 yr. old would say in front of this total stranger.
whats wrong with "that baby is nursing/breastfeeding"?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #37
camomof5
Banned
seller

I think that is the best picture ever! The problem as I see it is the breast have become a sexual object rather than a tool to care for our children.
camomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #38
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

I think people are afraid of sexuality, in general. The quote from a mom about shredding it and afraid that her son would see it, well, she needs to worry about other influences on his sexuality, not the healthy purpose of breasts!!!!! Doesn;t anyone know why we have them!!!!!!!! They are a food source for crying out loud! Maybe she should explain THAT to her son, not hide it. That was really the part that made me mad.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #39
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadiapers View Post
Maybe she should explain THAT to her son, not hide it. That was really the part that made me mad.
Exactly. I think that's a rediculous thing to hide from a 13yo. Its like my friend's mom that wouldn't tell her 9yo son what a tampon was like it was embarassing or something.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #40
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia2002 View Post
whats wrong with "that baby is nursing/breastfeeding"?
If you knew my daughter at that age, that would not have been a sufficient explanation for her in that situation. My difficulty was not with the explaining the actual act of bfing (Emma already knows what that is). It was the fact that the woman didn't make any attempt to cover herself for several minutes after she removed her son. There is an age that she will be able to tell the difference between indecent exposure & a woman being exposed after nursing, but *I* need to be the one to make the decision for the explanation, not some stranger we meet.
When I was nursing DD#2, several other of my friends nursing (again discreetly when in public) Emma would walk around with a baby under her shirt "feeding" the baby & now that we have another friend who is BFing, she does the same thing.

My point was/is simply that bfing can be done in a discreet way taking into consideration other people's comfort. I don't think that I need to be comfortable seeing another woman's breast in public. I think that's inappropriate. That's MY opinion. I have never had anyone speak negatively to me about bfing my child & I think part of the reason for that is because I was careful to consider other people's feelings.