Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hep B Vax at birth question

I posted about this in the pregnancy forum. I am due in 6wks and getting my birth plan ready. I am trying to decide what to do about this vax. When I had dd I was clueless so she got the works (Hep B, Vit. K, eye ointment) This time I know I have choices. I have tried looking up info on this vax with google but not finding much.

I am not an non-vaxing mama but I did refuse the chicken pox vax for dd and we delayed the MMR. This time around I am starting earlier learning about all the vaccines so I can make a more informed choice.

So anyone have any info or links on pros and cons of this vax? If I decide to delay this one what kind of schedule would it be on since I think the baby would be due for the second one at 2 months and then a 3rd one around 8 months or more. Would I should delay them all a bit to keep them spaced apart?

any info or shared stories of what you did would be great. TIA

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hep B Vax at birth question

this is a long article, but it has a lot of info about the theory of why the hep b vax could be beneficial to infants.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We fully vax, but I don't do the Hep B at birth. For me, personally, my second and third births were so easy and intervention-free that it seemed wrong to put them through even such a minor "procedure" after that. I can't remember what the schedule is, but our ped is used to parents refusing it at birth and gets us caught up within the first year.

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

HepB is not a risk for normal infants. It is an STD. If you wanted to give the HepB vax it makes alot more sense to wait until your child is a preteen and entering the years where this disease becomes a risk. The biggest risk group being IV drug users and people who engage in promiscuous sex. Most infants aren't going to fall into those two groups.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
HepB is not a risk for normal infants. It is an STD. If you wanted to give the HepB vax it makes alot more sense to wait until your child is a preteen and entering the years where this disease becomes a risk. The biggest risk group being IV drug users and people who engage in promiscuous sex. Most infants aren't going to fall into those two groups.
ITA. The only newborns who need this vax are babies whose mothers have Hep B. If you don't, the likelyhood of your baby getting the disease is almost nil. A friend of mine even asked her ped about this vax because he of course recommended that she fully vax according to the schedule, but when she asked him why her baby would need this vax, he couldn't come up with an answer and finally admitted that the baby didn't need it.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless you have Hep B, then there really is no rush to give your newborn the Hep B vax. Hep B is ONLY transmitted by blood/bodily fluids. Such as sexual intercourse or dirty needles. You can delay that as long as you would like. I didn't get the Hep B vax until I was 18 years old for nursing school.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

This is the last vaccine I would do if I vaxed (well, okay, probably chicken pox, but still!). I wouldn't give them this unless I knew they were shooting up and having unprotected sex. I'll talk to them when they're older and they can decide when to get it. I hope someone will post a link (I don't have time to look now, starting dinner) with the dangers of this vaccine on such tiny babies.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unless you expect a promiscuous dirty needle sharing baby, then there's no need to get it now.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I declined the Hep B at birth for both my kids. Figured they weren't having sex or sharing needles and I was Hep B negative so I didn't need to do it.

I got screamed at by a nurse for it. But, I just rolled my eyes. Even my super pro-vax ped agreed it wasn't necessary.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

there is a mama on here who's baby died after the hep B vax. for me, i can't figure out why they are even giving this shot to babies. if the mom does actually have hep B the babies are given a different shot (from what i understand). i'll have to check out that link posted earlier to see what the supposed benefits are.