Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i started my canning today!!!

i would love to hear how you did the corn! we live in corn capital here but i dont care for freezing it too much. but canned, hmmm!!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
seahawk
Registered Users

I am getting really tired of canning this year. I usually love it, but DS is 17 months old and very demanding. I hope it goes better next year.
We are done (I hope) with green beans and peaches. I still have 35 pounds of dill pickles to can- they should have been done already, then all the pickles will be done. This weekend we are doing pears, tomatoes (this will go on forever and we are already behind but can't live without salsa and spaghetti sauce) and beets. Then we have apples and I think that is it.

I am really curious about pepper rings? What is this?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we didnt grow picking cukes this year! so sad about that so i am trying to find some!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
LannaM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I've been a canning fool to some degree. Kinda ended up slacking off a little because of the new babe, but still...

So far I've frozen tons and tons of strawberry jam, some raspberry jam, sliced strawberries, sliced peaches, huckleberries, blueberries. Too lazy to water bath can at 3 weeks post-partum. Going out and picking 50-some pounds of strawberries and washing/cutting them was enough at that point in time/soreness, especially since I took the newborn with me out to the strawberry farm (she's a boobtick).

Have canned one batch of chicken stock, way too many quarts of green beans, some cherry pie filling, strawberry pie filling, spaghetti sauce, creamed corn, and maybe something else.

As things keep ripening around here (everything's like 3 weeks later than usual!), on my to-do list I've got relish, all manner of canned tomato stuff that I feel like making, vegetable stock, more chicken stock, more green beans until the vines give up, possibly grape jam/jelly, applesauce, pears (I might try dehydrating them in the oven - I'm just harvesting from around the neighborhood). And the obligatory apple cider to freeze since we have an awesome cider press. Maybe even pear cider, we shall see.

I'm almost close to saying I can't wait for nice, slow winter time, but then come December I'll be itching for those seed catalogs to show up so I can order and then start my seeds in March again. *sigh* It's a vicious, vicious cycle.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am having a heck of a time finding a reasonable pressure canner for beans and corn!!! arrgghh!!!!!!