Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

A "lopsided" question

I ebf my two children and am due with my third in December. I know it's normal for a baby to favor one side over the other and it can make one breast larger than the other. I had this "problem" with both of mine, they both favored my left side and now even though I haven't bf for almost a year my left is slightly larger than the other. It's something that bothers me, my husband says he can barely notice, but I've never looked into "fixing" it. Is it possible to fix it with this next little one? I tried before to feed more off of my right side but my left would just always make more milk. My left side would make about 5 oz while my left would make about 3oz.

Anyone have the same problem? Does it bother anyone else? Has anyone "fixed" it while nursing?

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
MamaWhite
Registered Users

Re: A "lopsided" question

I have ALWAYS had this problem. But it is extremely normal to have asymetrical breasts to begin with. My left is smaller and has always produced much less milk. And I really don't think that it can be "fixed." At least not without surgery! I have always tried to get my children to nurse more frequently on the left side, in the hopes of evening it out, but no luck.
MamaWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Well I'm at least glad I'm not the only one. I'm definitely never doing surgery so I'll just have to live with it!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
livvy1216
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of my breasts is slightly larger, and both were nursed about the same. i often wonder if they will appear more symmetrical once i'm all done with pgs and nursing...but that may be many years from now.

the only other non-surgical idea i have is to get padded bras, or miracle bras with lots of lift
livvy1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Lilly bugs mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am currently in the throws of this struggle... I am BFing my 8 week old... and slowly, but surely, my left breast has decided to become (in my husbands words) Twice as big as the right! (UGH!) My left breast produces about 50% more milk, and it flows more freely (when pumping, and when DS nurses) I have been trying to start him out more on the right, so it will plump up... I wondered if I was starting him out on the left too often and that was the cause... I would love to tag onto your question and see what people have to say!
Signed, Your fellow lopsided lady!
Lilly bugs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly bugs mom View Post
Signed, Your fellow lopsided lady!
Aren't we so special?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Lilly bugs mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

We should start a club!
Lilly bugs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

*nod*
Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
mrsrlgs12
Registered Users

Can I join?

I have the same issue with my right instead of my left. At this point I feed my DD on the left to start all the time and then go to the right side. She even likes the right side better because I don't think she has to work as hard to get her food (daddy's side of the family on that laziness he says). My right side will leak all day long too, the left never does. FRUSTRATING!
mrsrlgs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is completely normal to have the lopsided breats as you put it

My two stories are this.

I have always had very uneven breast there is a name for it but I can't think of it right now. It is a genetic thing glandular breast something anyway my one side is more pinecone shaped sorry for the TMI so I have always hated my breasts.

When my first son was born 5 weeks preemie and 4# 12oz he was so little. He couldn't even latch on the bigger breast it was larger then his little head so we started with the smaller side. My husband said to me one day while I was in the NICU with DS "See honey that is why you have that smaller breast it was so DS could nurse" I my husband. So, every baby since has always learn on the smaller one.

Second story is as my first son got older as a toddler he started to ask for "little nursie" or "big nursie" the little one produces less milk so it is more of the pacifier side since I don't use them then as my second son came along and I tandem nursed he too called it the big or little nursie and then they would negotiate who would get big or little when they were both toddlers so funny.

Ok one more and my DH says he likes it because it gives him variety goofy guy.

So, although they are not big screen perfect they have helped save, grow, nurture and please all the fellows in the house
hby is offline   Reply With Quote