Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

Ouch my cervix...

I'm 37 1/2 weeks and I had a doctor's appt. When he went to check my cervix (I'm dilated 1.5 cm) he really went up in there and now I hurt like I'm bruised or something. I know last week it didn't hurt and I don't remember it ever hurting with previous pregnancies.

I am so sore! It feels like he broke something. Is that normal?

Advertisement

knoxmama81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ouch my cervix...

Sounds like he may have stripped your membranes. This is just a 'rough' exam where the OB would sweep their finger between your cervix and bag of water. This can often put a mom in labor but not always. So sorry he hurt you.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansabrina View Post
Sounds like he may have stripped your membranes. This is just a 'rough' exam where the OB would sweep their finger between your cervix and bag of water. This can often put a mom in labor but not always. So sorry he hurt you.
Really? Shouldn't he have told me if he was doing that? I don't know but, I am very uncomfortable now.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
brandislee
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, they often do it without telling you. If not, though, you are totally within your rights to tell him not to check you. Unless there are outlying factors (like you live way far away from the hospital or for some reason need to know) there is no reason to check. And not only do you run the risk for him doing something like that, but you also run the risk of him introducing an infection.

And here's how I look at it- say they check me today (I'm 36 weeks) and I'm 3 cm dialated. I could very well stay 3 cm for the next three weeks, but knowing that I have started would make me even MORE impatient because I would expect to go into labor, and maybe I wouldn't. So why get my hopes up??
brandislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

I was sort of wondering when he was doing the exam (it was way rougher then last week) if he was trying to get something going. He has been asking me every week if I want to set an induction date and I keep telling him I am letting things go naturally at least until I pass my due date.

I am sort of surprised that a doctor would do that though! I think he may have done that because he was really manipulating around a lot and I am so sore now.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have had a lot of friends that this has happened too..i am sorry he did this..maybe is wont do any thing for you and you can progress at your own rate. .this is why i am not letting them check me at all..i need to make sure my husband is home form deployment..so i am not going to risk any thing....
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
knoxmama81
Registered Users
seller

Geez, it just seems so wrong to me that this is a common practice! I can't even be a 100% sure he did anything but I've been really sore all day and I've never had that happen from an internal before.

If I go into labor that's fine (we are ready!), but that's still SO wrong!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
jenesis536
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds like he stripped your membranes. If you specifically told him you want to go into labor on your own, and then he was rough with you, then I would personally assume he was trying to progress things along. I would think that if I told my doctor that I want things to go naturally that he would be careful. I have my first cervical check this Friday, and I'm going to be sure to make a point to tell him that I want to go natural, and to be very careful to not strip my membranes. That would make me mad. I would call your doctor and ask him if he did that.

Married to my best friend Sean, mom to Sarah (12), Ashley (5) and baby Ryder (born 10/8/08)
jenesis536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I've heard of this happening, that is just so wrong. I would be LIVID!!!
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can call the office an have them check your chart. see if it was listed that he did an internal and if he put any notes next to it say "stripped membranes" or something. i agree with you that it is VERY VERY WRONG. these kind of things are very common and unfortunetly should be conisdered assault. you didn't tell him to do that. and you really don't need routine checks until you are in labor. checks will not tell you anything and until you actually go into real labor you're not going to progress much past 5 cm!! big hugs mama

i'd throw a royal fit---but then again thats why i have a midwife who is backup for my UC!!