Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie
My Mood:
plugged duct

any advice? i've switched bras, put warm compress on it, fed her often. i don't think she's getting hardly any milk out of it, so my instinct is to pump anything out that i can. is that a good idea or bad?

Kalli: We're a Christian family, we homeschool and we wish to be hippies on a farm! Married 8 years with three blessings:

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: plugged duct

personally, pumping is what gave me mastitis/ plugged ducts.
pretty recently i had a duct swell, and burst... it was really nasty and still looks not quite right.
if you pump THOROUGHLY clean the pump...
alternate between cold and warm compresses...
drink a LOT of water, and take motrin for pain.
this is exactly what my lactation consultant had me do, also, i had to go on antibiotics....but try the other means first!!
B'sMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Carolina Kel
Registered Users
My Mood:

My sympathies, mama! Plugged ducts suck! They're a pain (no pun intended)!

Some mamas recently talked about them on this post - they talked about a trick to do with cabbage leaves that may work.

As an EP'er, I pumped my clog out. Mine was on the underside of my breast where my bra was catching one of the girls the wrong way, and I wasn't able to massage it out... so I got some help.

And you can smile/laugh as you're picturing this... I got it out by hanging off the bed with my head pointing towards the floor so that I could compress and massage the undersides of the girls (which are now on top) while DH held up the horns on for me... it was a great moment in spousal team-work.

After the clogged duct from hell got sucked out, I started taking a soy lecithin supplement which helps thin out your milk if you're prone to getting clogs.

HTH, and best of luck!
Carolina Kel
Yankee by birth, Southern girl at heart, Army Wife & Girlfriend by accident!
* Grad student * Sgt. Squirrel's wife * Eirik's mama * Trystam's girlfriend *
Be your friend's true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter with laughter.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I've had 2 in the past 6 weeks, same location and pretty bad both times. I rarely pump because dd won't take a bottle, but I used the pump to clear it the first time along with manual massage. The second time I used a small hand held vibrating massager for two 30 minute nursing sessions and that worked great too. My problem now is with a nursing blister that looks like a sesame seed on the nipple that just won't go away. Not sure if it is the cause or effect of the plugged duct, but it hurts like crazy and I don't know what to do about it.
~Laura~ - Adoring Mama to DD Brianna DSS Isaiah and boobie baby Rachel
Loving wifey to DH Todd
3lilkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Registered Users

I currently have this problem too. ::sigh:: Sounds like you are doing what you can. Pumping seems like a good idea, massaging and a heating pad has worked for me in the past too. Soy lecithin (like the pp mentioned) worked for my sister. Good luck!
BlueDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

What always worked for me was to lie face down in the bath with boobies submerged and massage them like that in the warm water. It was a bit of work supporting myself on one elbow while massaging with the opposite hand, but felt so so good to push that milk out...
Jen=mummy to L and S and A, my birthday thief, and one little baby-not-to-be 14/2/14
I sell patterns for OSFM covers and fitted diapers, please check out
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
Coop Hostess
My Mood:

When I get a clog, always in the same spot, always when I have not pumped/nursed enough the previous day, I do some of the following things:

~Massage and hand expression in warm water (although I always feel sad squirting my milk down the shower drain
~Pump while nursing to stimulate extra letdowns
~Massage that area while nursing and pumping
~Make sure to position the baby or pump towards the clogged duct, so you get full suction on that spot
~Pump/nurse more often

I have heard warm washcloths and cabbage leaves, although I have never done them.

For me, I got mastitis twice with Sofiya and I would have died had my 16 month old not chosen to start breastfeeding again. Tandem nursing saved me from becoming an EPer. I needed to produce lots of milk because you never pump as much as you produce, but Sofiya doesn't nurse off both sides. Of course, I know Catherine is your only child right now so tandem nursing is not really an option for you.

Good luck, Kalli and please pm me if you need anymore advice!
I am moving on in life, if you need to get in touch with me, please email me at
Keropisunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote