Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, how many of you EBF but don't eat like you should?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardowa View Post
Well, my son is allergic milk, soy and eggs, so by the time I cut all of that out I feel like I can't eat anything anyway, so alot of days I just don't eat at all
Sweetie, you do need to get something in there, you burn about 500 calories nursing, I've gone a few days without anything, and was getting very dizzy and my heart was doing palpitations quite often, that's when I knew I needed to get more in, try those Ensure Healthy Mom shakes, after I had DD that was pretty much all I could force in

Advertisement

Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I'm horrible, too. I do still take my prenatals (when I remember, LOL). There are days where I can barely get off the couch to feed my son, let alone myself. I'll grab myself a handful of pretzels when I get him lunch or something, but some days there just isn't anything to "grab" and it would have to be made - so I don't get to eat. I need to get groceries more often, LOL.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I'm so bad..i really need to get back on the wagon and take vites, butthe last ones i bought dd and i ended up being allergic to.....ugh.
I do take folic acid a couple times a week...but need to take my multi-s, fish oil, extra folic, calcium, C, ugh
We 're gonna ttc now, so I REALLY have to get on the healthy stuff......

But, from a BM standpoint, it is my understanding that your milk has good quality even if your diet isn't great....something like a malnourished woman in Africa or whatever makes milk that is just as good/nutritive as a woman with a great diet....
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #14
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
But, from a BM standpoint, it is my understanding that your milk has good quality even if your diet isn't great....something like a malnourished woman in Africa or whatever makes milk that is just as good/nutritive as a woman with a great diet....
OMG that's so good to know!! Is it bad that I feel like I'm "off the hook" now as far as eating goes?!

I really am trying to do better. But I've always been an "all or nothing" kinda gal. So, if I eat like crap in the morning I figure there's no use in trying to eat well the rest of the day, KWIM? Screwed up logic, I know! LOL

I really really need to start taking the vitamins too, but everytime I try to take one I gag and choke and end up spitting it back out.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

Let's put this in perspective, shall we?

My whole family was hit by food poisoning last Sunday. I couldn't drink *anything* for over 24 hours, and I wasn't able to eat anything for nearly 48 hours. My daughter nursed constantly and was pretty much recovered within 6 hours. Breastmilk is an amazing thing!
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I wish I ate well. Most days I totally blow breakfast,because mornings are insane here.
Lunch is whatever I find in the fridge and can cram down my throat during naps,if they even take naps.
Dinner tends to be pretty good,but I find myself tanking up on carbs and meats and not a lot of veggies.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciate View Post
Let's put this in perspective, shall we?

My whole family was hit by food poisoning last Sunday. I couldn't drink *anything* for over 24 hours, and I wasn't able to eat anything for nearly 48 hours. My daughter nursed constantly and was pretty much recovered within 6 hours. Breastmilk is an amazing thing!
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearingTaci View Post
I wish I ate well. Most days I totally blow breakfast,because mornings are insane here.
Lunch is whatever I find in the fridge and can cram down my throat during naps,if they even take naps.
Dinner tends to be pretty good,but I find myself tanking up on carbs and meats and not a lot of veggies.
exactly!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

I don't eat that well. I dont usually eat till lunch and then I stuff myself. I'm pretty sure that the milk content is still good though. I know it can take on flavors, like spices from spicy food, etc. But i think prenatal vitamins are for us mammas, not to make milk healthier. Like if you don't have enough calcium intake for bm, your body takes calcium from your bones to give to the babies....which stinks cause I think after age 27 its next to impossible to get calcium back into bones..anyways, im not nearly as healthy as I should be
Old 10-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes, but from what I understand, your body gets depleted and since we all want to be around for our children we should eat better. (Not that I'm a poster child for healthy eating...)

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #20
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thats not true. If your body isn't bringing in the right nutrients, in time, your breastmilk wont either. If a woman did nothing but eat chips and drink soda all day everyday...or go several days w/out eating at all...she would not have good quality milk.

In formula they add DHA and ARA because it "supports" brain development, well if a breastfeeding mom doesnt eat fish, she doesn't have dha and ara naturally occuring in her breastmilk (the reason WIC gives breastfeeding moms tuna)

I'm sure there are a lot of other nutrients like that...it IS true your body will deplete your own sources to give nutrients to baby...but how long before it runs empty?

About a month and a half ago, I got very severely sick, I literally ate and drank nothing for 3 days... My daughter nursed constantly the whole time (and only nursed) and by the 4th day, she was constipated and dehydrated. Her poops were black when she finally did poop and she was very VERY crabby. It has taken me until just this week (been about 5 weeks??) to get my milk back up to FULL supply to the point where SHE is healthy again.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote