Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #21
crunchychristianmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok, how many of you EBF but don't eat like you should?

Wow. So much for making each other feel better about not eating right. Glad you're doing better! Think I'll go take a vitamin...

Advertisement

http://crunchychristianmom.blogspot.com
crunchychristianmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 AM   #22
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am still nursing, though not exclusively. I don't eat as well as I should either I often would forget my prenatals and suvived for weeks on cereal bars and diet pepsi. But more to the point, as part of my training to become a Bradley Instructor I had to read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, put out by La Leche League. The next part is taken directly from the book...

The quality of mothers' milk -the nurtients in it- is also something you can depend on. You would have to be severely malnourished before there would be any reason to worry about whether you milk is meeting you baby's nurtritional needs. The survival of the young of the species is so important that nature has made special provisons to ensure the quality of milk.

One such arrangement is the extra fat you put on during pregnancy to fuel the milk making process after the baby's birth. Your body's metabolism becomes more efficient during lactation, another energy safegaurd. Blood flow to the breasts increases, carrying needed nutritients.

Do women who nurse their babies, especially for a long time place themselves at risk for bone problems later in life? The answer is no, because here again, the body makes special allowances for lactation.

Calcium is absorbed more efficiently from the intestines during lactation and for a time after weaning.

In studies of postmenopausal women, those who breastfed for extended periods of time had comparable or higher bone mineral densities than women who had never breastfed and actually had a lower risk of hip fracture.

Taken from pages 377 and 378 in case you want to look it up. Long story short, we all really need to eat well. For those times when we don't baby will be ok.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 AM   #23
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
In formula they add DHA and ARA because it "supports" brain development, well if a breastfeeding mom doesnt eat fish, she doesn't have dha and ara naturally occuring in her breastmilk (the reason WIC gives breastfeeding moms tuna)
I would love to see you source for this. My La Leche League book only states that DHA and ARA are long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. It also states human milk contains large amounts of DHA and ARA. No where can I find a relationship to fish.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #24
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchychristianmom View Post
Wow. So much for making each other feel better about not eating right. Glad you're doing better! Think I'll go take a vitamin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyinAlaska View Post
I am still nursing, though not exclusively. I don't eat as well as I should either I often would forget my prenatals and suvived for weeks on cereal bars and diet pepsi. But more to the point, as part of my training to become a Bradley Instructor I had to read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, put out by La Leche League. The next part is taken directly from the book...

The quality of mothers' milk -the nurtients in it- is also something you can depend on. You would have to be severely malnourished before there would be any reason to worry about whether you milk is meeting you baby's nurtritional needs. The survival of the young of the species is so important that nature has made special provisons to ensure the quality of milk.

One such arrangement is the extra fat you put on during pregnancy to fuel the milk making process after the baby's birth. Your body's metabolism becomes more efficient during lactation, another energy safegaurd. Blood flow to the breasts increases, carrying needed nutritients.

Do women who nurse their babies, especially for a long time place themselves at risk for bone problems later in life? The answer is no, because here again, the body makes special allowances for lactation.

Calcium is absorbed more efficiently from the intestines during lactation and for a time after weaning.

In studies of postmenopausal women, those who breastfed for extended periods of time had comparable or higher bone mineral densities than women who had never breastfed and actually had a lower risk of hip fracture.

Taken from pages 377 and 378 in case you want to look it up. Long story short, we all really need to eat well. For those times when we don't baby will be ok.
Awesome! Thank you for that info!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #25
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm still nursing my 17 month old and I eat terribly!!! Fast food, soda, but I WOH full time and that is all that I have time to do! I am taking vitamins again, but that is just because I was feeling terrible and figured that it has something to do with my diet.

I do try to make sure that she eats good when we are at home though even if I don't. She is a very healthy baby, much healthier than her cousin who is 23 months old and sick again!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #26
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I"m glad this came up---I was just down on myself about not eating THE BEST... plus I do forget to take my vits. ON a side note about that, my doctor was telling me that even though I may forget every now and again, a lot of women underestamate the vitamins we get out of normal food. I guess in my mind I was thinking "I didn't take my vit. C!... DS won't have any vit C all day!", typically I would think that after eating something not-so-obviously full of vit. c.

Thank goodness our bodies are amazing things and can make what our children need.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #27
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all your posts--- I eat junk "once in a while" (read=way too much!) and so this makes me feel better. I try but with two little ones and being a single mom for all intensive purposes right now it is just HARD.
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #28
crunchychristianmom
Registered Users
seller

Amy, could it have been that your baby was simply sick, too? Instead of it being a bm issue? 'Cause I'd much rather believe what LLL says!

http://crunchychristianmom.blogspot.com
crunchychristianmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #29
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

I dont believe that DHA and RHA are that big of a deal. I think formula companies put a spin on it. That would mean that a woman living where there aren't any fish locally would have milk that is deficient for developing a babies brain????? Aside from that, I have heard that woman and children are not supposed to eat more than one can of tuna a week because of the toxic mercury levels. WIC ought to pay for salmon or other small fish that don't contain such high mercury levels.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #30
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

On the dha ara question, I can't remember where I read it, I've read SO MUCH stuff on breastfeeding since before I was even pregnant with my first daughter. I don't rely solely on the LLL, I read basically everything I come across...If I'm wrong on that I apologize, but I heard dha and ara was a fatty acid from fish and only in the breastmilk of women who ate certain fish (hence why I was told WIC gives tuna)...I'll try to find my source for that if I can but I really havent got the slightest idea where I read it.

I do believe your body can support your child while lacking in nutrition, I was throwing up nonstop from 3 weeks preg to 25 weeks preg (when I finally accepted the zofran prescrip) with my first daughter, rarely able to keep anything down including water. I would spend several weeks with nothing but soup broth and iv's. She was born very healthy.
BUT I know from my own breastfeeding experiance and what I talked about with my LC that if you're not getting enough enough water (hence why everytime your breastmilk supply is low the first question is "are you drinking enough water?") and calories then you can't efficiantly make milk after a time.

With my first daughter I was lucky if I got 500 calories a day and sometimes went 2 or 3 days without eating because I lived with a horrible person. My LC told me I had to increase my caloric intake or my milk supply was going to continue suffering. After 6 months of breastfeeding and losing 38 lbs since I gave birth (I had only gained 28) My milk supply was SUFFERING horribly. DD was dehydrated and very sick, her ped was going to admit her if I didn't start supplementing or bring my milk supply up.

I'm not saying the average "Oh I don't eat quite right somedays" is going to suffer for it, and I don't think you necessarily need to take a vitamin

Argh! I have so much more to add to this post but I have to leave for work in a few minutes so I can't keep going...I'll add more tonight if I remember what line of thinking I was on

I know I read a bunch in the breastfeeding books at the childcare center I work at here, so I'll try to scan through those today if I have time and see if I can find that info I posted. For all I know it was very outdated because I've read so many books.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote