Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
April.C
Registered Users

Separation Anxiety Help

Hello. I have a 7 month old daughter who is just beginning to get separation anxiety when I leave. She is also becoming fearful of new things (we took her to the pumpkin patch last weekend and she was terrified of the pumpkins!). I am a SAHM and DH works 12 hour days, so it is just me and her most of the time. The problem is I just got offered a very part time position as an aerobics instructor. One class a day, five days a week. They have a daycare on site where DD can go while I teach. I've been three times to train and all three times I've had to leave early because she screams and they can't settle her down.

Today I tried to stay with her at the daycare, introduce her to the kids and daycare providers, and show her that it was a fun place to be. She was having a great time while I was there, but as soon as I left she would start screaming. I tried sneaking out so she wouldn't see me leave... they told me she was okay for about 5 minutes until she realized I was gone and then started screaming.

Any ideas of how I can get her to be okay without me? How long does this stage last?

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Separation Anxiety Help

DD is 9 months old and this sounds like her to a T. It also started around 7 months old. I actually am with her 24/7 though and even take her to the bathroom with me most of the time You have to understand that at this age they are going through the "trust vs. mistrust" stage and they need to learn that when you leave you WILL be back. Start by doing simple things (go to the bathroom, tend to dinner etc) and talk to her while you're out of the room. It takes a long time in reality but eventually she will learn that you are ALWAYS there for her. And also...my DD is scared to death of leaves...tried to set her in some to get cute pics...did NOT happen.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Shawna_L
Banned

Re: Separation Anxiety Help

This is VERY normal for baby's age. How longs it lasts...depends on the child. Personally, I don't think it's good to "sneak" away. I give a hug, a kiss and say "Momma will see you later. Have a good time.", and leave quickly holding back MY tears until I'm at least in the car.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote