Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Paci addiction

I feel so bad having taken the paci away because it gives my 2yo such obvious comfort...and when we were breastfeeding - for the very short time that we were...he was a bigggg comfort nurser...anyway..

I just watched him 'share' the paci with his little brother...lol...I told him to give the paci back to yds and he sat there and he'd take 2 sucks on it and then put it in ds2's mouth and let him suck on it for a second..then he'd take it back and suck it for a second, etc etc....quite amusing for me, ds2 didn't like it so much and it made me feel bad all over again for ds1.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paci addiction

(((HUGS))) it's really not that bad once you start doing it! Right now we are breaking DD #2 from sucking on her fingers...something she does ALL day everyday. We have applied a bandaid to one of the fingers...alternating daily so try and keep her from sucking...The first night was rough...she cried and wouldn't go back to sleep. But after that we've had relatively smooth sailing. She will come up and show me her bandaided finger quite pitifully at times but then she's off.

With DD#1, we broke her from her binky at 23 months. We just cut the tip off of it one night(we acually got a really really good laugh...she pulled it out of her mouth and said "it boke") but anyway, she sucked on it "boke" until we cut more off, and more off...she sucked on it until she could only hold on to what was left of the nipple with her teeth...and then she decided it was ok to throw it away. She never had a crying fit through the whole thing.

GOod luck! It may be a rough start but it wont' take long and it's not that hard

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
ttatink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took Katie's away at 15 months. Dakota gave hers up on her own at 3 months. We think Dakota gave hers up because Katie was doing just what your DS is doing. Honestly, Katie was fine after a few days without it. It was time for her though, she had started to give it to me after naps and bed rather than hanging on to it for dear life!
ttatink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aww. I took my DS's away at around 18-20 months. He only used it at night to fall asleep so when he finally lost the last one (our puppy at the time use to come in and steal it I found out ) he didn't have one any more. He gave it up rather easily. Then again I would too if I saw the dog sucking on it My DD hates the pacifier, which kind of shocked me.

Good luck, it's tough
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake
he'd take 2 sucks on it and then put it in ds2's mouth and let him suck on it for a second..then he'd take it back and suck it for a second, etc etc...
While I don't have any advice on what to do while one is paci age & one might not be, I wanted to tell you that you are obviously raising two very loving little boys, able to share so sweetly!! Don't forget to write this cute interaction in your dss baby books!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Isn't it sweet? LOL...made me awwww and feel bad that i took away something that obviously meant so much to him...i took it away shortly after his 2nd birthday and he actually gave it up really easy...and we've not really looked back...ds1 had to have a certain shape of paci and ds2 had to have a different shape...so ds1 knows whose paci's are whose..and won't (err, wouldn't) touch ds2's...it's just been very recently that he's started sneaking them or going and jumping in bed with ds2 and sharing the paci...

ds1 is so sweet with ds2 most of the time...he's got these 2 robots that look identical but they're different colors...and he'll always make sure that when he's playing with one, ds2 has the other one...he always wants to share his food with him...it's really cute imo

Thanks and thanks everyone for your responses
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I"ve heard of some cute ways to help kids give up the paci. Some moms have the kids package them up for the "binky fairy" so she can give them to the babies that dont' have any binkies. One Mom told her child about the binky fairy and said she comes and checks under the pillow when you are ready -the MOm checked the pillow every night and eventually, all the binkies were under there one evening Another Mom set something up w/ a store clerk to have her child "buy" something w/ all her binkies. I think t hese are cute stories!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my oldest had a paci until she was 3. She was addicited and still would have i bet if i let her. I didnt mind too much for night time, becaseu I know some kdis are just very oral. Bit I was tired of seein git in her mouth druing the day. My next baby was only 13 months younger so they both had one, but when i made sami throw hers away, Gabby just threw hers in the trash too. she was not even 2 yet. My last never used a paci at all, I was her paci. When she self weaned at 13 months, she stopped needing to have something in her mouth. About 3 weeks ago she found a paci when we moves some furniture. she called it her beebee. she walked around with it for like 2 days and would freak out yelling :"MY BEEBBEE MY BEEBEE" if we took it away. so we left it out for hte beebee fairy who left her a little gift in exchange for the paci.
Some kids are just more oral, and have a NEED for something in their mouth.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

BTDT!

We bribed our kids around 2 1/2 when they were 'ready' to go to bed without their binkies, they got special rewards..

It WAS hard with the youngest still using one, but now they say "she's a baby" "we're big kids"

BUT, then again, I found them sharing the binki yesterday between the 3 of them - like watching college kids taking hits, yk?