Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Kids by the Dozen

Anyone else ever watch this show on TLC? I like watching the Duggar specials because I like "peeking" into a large family to see what it's like. I grew up in a typical family of four, one boy-one girl; I've always dreamed of having a large family and DH and I plan to have at least four children of our own - and hopefully more, through adoption, if we can afford the up-front costs later in life. (I know four or five isn't exactly large, but it is compared to my upbringing!) So the Duggar shows have always interested me. But honestly, sometimes I get so frustrated watching them because they're so annoyingly perfect! They never fight, the mom is super organized all the time, they have a huge house that's completely paid for, they're just... too much! Most people are not like that! So when I saw this Kids by the Dozen show, I was so excited. It shows large, normal families! Bickering siblings, kids not doing what they're told, cluttered messes, money issues... ahh, how refreshing!

There's a mini-marathon on right now, if you want to catch some! Or here is a schedule for September if you can't sit down to watch now or don't see this post in time.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids by the Dozen

I like to watch this show when I catch it on. It's interesting. Not for me since I am totally done at 2 and very happy with 2. But, it is interesting to watch how large families do 'it'
Old 09-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
blakesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I has been on our tv all day. I haven't got to watch it all but I love the different families and how unique they all are. It almost makes me want a big family .
Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like it a lot more than the Duggars as well, they seem more like a regular family (I swear the Duggars are so much more put together than we are with only 2 kids!). Someday DH and I would like to have more kids, we are thinking 4 or 5.

Do you ever watch Jon and Kate plus 8 on TLC? I kinda have mixed feelings about them.

Last edited by Tavie and Ellie's Mom; 09-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Tavie and Ellie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
LilyGrace
Registered Users

It honestly drives me nuts. They care for the kids until it's time to put them in the car, and then it's either no carseats and cramming all the kids in (UK family), or they've been using the same car seats since the first kid and number 10 is now sitting in it.

I just want to scream at the tv - if you can't afford them, don't have them!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never seen it but I dream of having a big family. 4-5 kids atleast, maybe more! I grew up with only one sibling and I hated it!
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
It honestly drives me nuts. They care for the kids until it's time to put them in the car, and then it's either no carseats and cramming all the kids in (UK family), or they've been using the same car seats since the first kid and number 10 is now sitting in it.

I just want to scream at the tv - if you can't afford them, don't have them!

Seriously. Not every person who has a kid knows every single detail about every single thing involving child care. This applies whether you have 1 or 10. I agree that it's frustrating to see kids improperly restrained in a vehicle, but it has a lot less to do with what they can afford, and more to do with what they know. Until I started frequenting discussion boards, I never knew about extended rear facing, or expiration dates.

I'll bet there's some things you don't know too. Despite what you can afford.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindycat72 View Post

Seriously. Not every person who has a kid knows every single detail about every single thing involving child care. This applies whether you have 1 or 10. I agree that it's frustrating to see kids improperly restrained in a vehicle, but it has a lot less to do with what they can afford, and more to do with what they know. Until I started frequenting discussion boards, I never knew about extended rear facing, or expiration dates.

I'll bet there's some things you don't know too. Despite what you can afford.
Eh? Since when is knowing the law and expiration date (which is stamped on the seat) "every single detail involving child care"? But hey, what a way to excuse bad parenting.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE that show. I get so many great ideas for our family from all the other families My sister keeps telling em she is submitting us but I wont do it so she knows there is no point. I just cant see putting my WHOLE family out there like that but I think its great that other people do it
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I love watching those shows, as well as Jon & Kate plus 8. I dream of having a large family [ we are a family of 6 right now ], and it is just fun to watch others experience with it

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote