Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids by the Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
Eh? Since when is knowing the law and expiration date (which is stamped on the seat) "every single detail involving child care"? But hey, what a way to excuse bad parenting.
For starters, they only started stamping expiry dates on the seats a few years ago. If your seat is older than that, it won't be there.

Also, I am not excusing not putting kids in seats. I took offense at your ASSumption that only wealthy people could possibly have all the information to safely raise lots of kids.

Advertisement

mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindycat72 View Post

Also, I am not excusing not putting kids in seats. I took offense at your ASSumption that only wealthy people could possibly have all the information to safely raise lots of kids.
I didn't assume that. You did. So keep your nasty "ASSumption" to yourself. I said the ones I've seen on there don't take care of their kids when it comes time to put them in the car.

Whatever you inferred from that is your own deal. Don't put it on me.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You said, and I quote;

Quote:
It honestly drives me nuts. They care for the kids until it's time to put them in the car, and then it's either no carseats and cramming all the kids in (UK family), or they've been using the same car seats since the first kid and number 10 is now sitting in it.

I just want to scream at the tv - if you can't afford them, don't have them!
What on earth do having lots of kids, finances, and improper carseat use have to do with each other?

I agree with you that there is no excuse for not putting a child in a carseat. There's also no excuse for making a judgmental statement for what you think a family can or can't afford.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Eh? Since when is knowing the law and expiration date (which is stamped on the seat) "every single detail involving child care"? But hey, what a way to excuse bad parenting.
I have a 12 yr old. I NEVER knew car seats expire until being on message boards. I don't remember reading it in any of the Sears books or What to Expect books. Most people I know that are not "online" don't know either when I have mentioned it. I didn't notice the stamped expiration on a carseat until I bought my last one as I was installing it. And I am usually pretty resourceful. I think it is safe to say if you have kids before this stuff started happening.. you may not necessarily know about all this stuff. They really should put more out there on this

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindycat72 View Post
You said, and I quote;

What on earth do having lots of kids, finances, and improper carseat use have to do with each other?

I agree with you that there is no excuse for not putting a child in a carseat. There's also no excuse for making a judgmental statement for what you think a family can or can't afford.
The family that had no carseats also crammed several kids into a 5 person car. I think it's safe to say they can't afford it.

And honestly, I only see that as a real reason why kids are not restrained properly. Nobody wants a child to die, so there's no other reason except fiscal that the children aren't in >6yo carseats. There is enough information widely disseminated on the basics of carseats that if a child is not restrained in a usable seat that the decision is based on financial reasons or stupidity. Pick one. I figure anyone who has 10+ kids should know at least a little about what they need. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Chrisallen
Registered Users

The Healy family (had 3 sets of twins, her name is Siobhan) was one of the episodes, she was on a couple MSG boards I was on, she was a TOTAL troll, was banned, etc. It was great to see how her family was, though.

I just don't get it. A lot of times (Duggars) the older kids seem to be raising the younger ones.

Last edited by Chrisallen; 09-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Chrisallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #17
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow this turned into a heated debate... I would like to get back on subject. I like watching most of those shows- except the Duggers (they seem to pop another kid out each time the tv is about to drop them) and the John and Kate Plus 8- because Kate drives me bonkers...
Though I would sit there and watch it if my husband let me.
We have 6 kids, and I would love to have many more! But I could never subject my family to a camera following them around. They must have lots of courage, or need money hehe
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisallen View Post
The Healt family (had 3 sets of twins, her name is Siobhan) was one of the episodes, she was on a couple MSG boards I was on, she was a TOTAL troll, was banned, etc. It was great to see how her family was, though.
I remember her from a board of mine.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

goodness well I love Jon and Kate plus 8 but I'm envious they geta ton of stuff for free.

I would love a large family too. I want at least four more and I know we will not be wealthy at all, but as long as a child has what it needs it doesn't matter how much money is involved. I am going to be a teacher, my so is a cop, we don't make alot. But we will have what we need.