Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
EBF Until Self Feeding

I'm not exactly sure why but I was thinking that waiting until Taci could feed herself would be a good idea.
I basically don't want to have to deal with baby food and she doesn't seem terribly interested in it either.

Has anyone done this,or am I just being dumb?

Advertisement

Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: EBF Until Self Feeding

Lots of people do it, it's not a dumb idea at all. Usually they start by putting small soft chunks of veggies (carrot, sweet potato, etc) in front of baby and eventually baby will get some in their mouth when they're ready
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

I don't think its a dumb idea, but I do know that you shouldn't wait too long to start solids as my SIL did. They had a lot of trouble with they're son. He had to be taught how to chew and swallow. But my SIL is a little on the odd side so I doubt that you would have that trouble. I would just watch your baby and see when they are ready and follow their cues.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
mama23boys
Banned
seller

with joe he started on pureed homemade baby food and then one day he was just puking BAD. i stopped ALL solids for about a month. when i tried homemade rice cereal and pureed baby food he was gagging BAD! so again i waited a bit then started in on the veggie/fruit chunks (baby size) and he is feeding himself and no gagging. i even started giving him yogurt with no problems.

he didnt drop in weight or anything else. he still nurses like a champ also!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I think this is the way to go, definately, and this is what we are doing with our daughter.
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

How old is Taci?

I'm thinking about doing this with Presley also. She's almost 7 months and we've tried some pureed bananas and homemade pureed oatmeal. She was ok with the bananas but had no interest in the oatmeal, and I really have no interest in messing with it either! LOL

She's already scooping TINY objects into her mouth...like, things she SHOULDN'T be eating! LOL So how old are most babies when they start self feeding?

P.S. Presley has 4 teeth (almost 6 now) but she can't sit up unassisted. I'm sure the sitting thing will present a problem. We have a Bumbo though...hmmm

Last edited by presleycaedmon; 10-21-2006 at 03:20 PM.
presleycaedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i started joe about a month ago (he was about 8.5 months) on cheerios AFTER realizing that he could eat CAT FOOD with no problems
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Taci just turned 7 months,she can sit unassisted,but isn't putting things into her mouth yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by presleycaedmon View Post
How old is Taci?

I'm thinking about doing this with Presley also. She's almost 7 months and we've tried some pureed bananas and homemade pureed oatmeal. She was ok with the bananas but had no interest in the oatmeal, and I really have no interest in messing with it either! LOL

She's already scooping TINY objects into her mouth...like, things she SHOULDN'T be eating! LOL So how old are most babies when they start self feeding?

P.S. Presley has 4 teeth (almost 6 now) but she can't sit up unassisted. I'm sure the sitting thing will present a problem. We have a Bumbo though...hmmm
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it with two kids. Both of them HATE being fed. I usually start out with things like dry cereal, crumbly crackers, and fresh/frozen stuff in a mesh feeder.

Eliana has had:
Kashi Mighty Bites
banana
strawberry
mango
mashed potatoes
refried beans
pad thai
lemongrass chicken
peas
carrots (she also loves chewing on baby carrots)
muffin
toast
pear
apple
plum

and other stuff.. When I try to feed her (usually with my fork/spoon) she grabs my utensil and guides it into her mouth herself.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Abby wouldn't have anything to do with baby food, so this is what I did. When she first started to show and interest in food I gave her those little gerber puffs that dissolve so she didn't have to chew them. Now that she is chewing she can eat most things that are baby sized. I let her snack on crackers and things during the day in addition to nursing and then she has dinner with us and for being so little she eats a ton, then tops it off with nursing. I haven't noticed a reduction in the amount she is nursing at all, and she is starting to get kinda chunky now.