Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #21
newlywaaz
Registered Users

Re: EBF Until Self Feeding

my mom waited until we were practically begging before giving us "real" food, and never used canned stuff. She did a lot of homemade applesauce, yogurt, and pureed veggies from dinner the night before.

My first solid was a homemade ww pizza crust, bro #1's was a chicken leg with no meat on it

Advertisement

newlywaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
newlywaaz
Registered Users

oh, and we were 9 and 12 months, respectively.
newlywaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #23
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking of doing this too. But I asked my pediatrician about this and he said that its up to me if I want to wait until ds is self-feeding to stop EBFing, however he cautioned me and said that breastmilk can be low in iron and full-term babies are generally only born with enough iron stores to last through about 6 months so I'll need to give an iron supplement, he also recommends a viatamin D supplement starting at 2 months. Plus I'm borderline anemic to boot so I do see where he is coming from.

He also said that giving rice by spoon doesn't really provide much extra nutrion but it does help a baby to learn how to handle more solid foods, so while it isn't completely necessary and can be a pain, and while some babies may have an aversion to it, its good to try because it can ease the baby into eating solids. I really do trust this guy, he really listens and I know he wants what is best for my baby. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #24
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been wondering this as well! DD is just over 7 months and I have been EFB. I have offered rice one time - thanks to another thread I started I learned she doesn't "need" cereal!. I have offered pureed bananas, applesause and squash. She does ok, but isn't overly thrilled about it. So I have felt "why bother" LOL! (Guess I am feeling kind of lazy too!) She does sit up well and has for some time - she puts everything in her mouth with excitement - except for food! So I guess I am going to wait another month or so and try and with non-pureed/soft foods.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Niccole

Last edited by somersocial; 11-03-2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typos
somersocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #25
muppet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Momof2boyz;422311]I was thinking of doing this too. But I asked my pediatrician about this and he said that its up to me if I want to wait until ds is self-feeding to stop EBFing, however he cautioned me and said that breastmilk can be low in iron and full-term babies are generally only born with enough iron stores to last through about 6 months so I'll need to give an iron supplement, he also recommends a viatamin D supplement starting at 2 months. Plus I'm borderline anemic to boot so I do see where he is coming from. [QUOTE]

No offense to your doctor, but I just don't think he has his breastmilk facts correct. How can there not be enough iron in breastmilk if the World Health Organization states that mothers should breastfeed for at least two years. In the US it is recommended for AT LEAST a year. Breastmilk is nature's perfect baby food, yet doctors always seem to "poo-poo" it as something inferior. For more breastmilk savy discussions and women who know way more than me, i would go to the mothering forums at
www.mothering.com and click on "discuss" at the top of the webpage. once in the forums, there is a breastfeeding discussion. it's good stuff. and it's good to see people asking questions!!
muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I started early with my DS....He eats like a bird.....

I waited until right around 1yr with DD (went straight to table food that we were eating and feeding ehrself). Not only is/was she ONE HEALTHY booger....she eats VERY well.

This time around....I am not going to rush it. If he shows signs of being interested before a year we might try...but, if he shows NO signs...I am just going to wait until a year. The milk he recieves from me (and the antibodies) are SO important. DD didnt get sick ONCE while she was EBF...
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #27
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2boyz View Post
I was thinking of doing this too. But I asked my pediatrician about this and he said that its up to me if I want to wait until ds is self-feeding to stop EBFing, however he cautioned me and said that breastmilk can be low in iron and full-term babies are generally only born with enough iron stores to last through about 6 months so I'll need to give an iron supplement, he also recommends a viatamin D supplement starting at 2 months. Plus I'm borderline anemic to boot so I do see where he is coming from.

He also said that giving rice by spoon doesn't really provide much extra nutrion but it does help a baby to learn how to handle more solid foods, so while it isn't completely necessary and can be a pain, and while some babies may have an aversion to it, its good to try because it can ease the baby into eating solids. I really do trust this guy, he really listens and I know he wants what is best for my baby. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Your doctor is right in saying that babies have stores of iron from birth that should be available until age 6 months or so. However, your milk has iron in it, and your baby has been getting iron from you for six whole months :shock: (I mean no disrespect to your doc, either, of course.)

I know that formula has more iron than breastmilk, but breastmilk's iron is more bioavailable. FWIW, my 1st son was never on any supplements--he breastfed exclusively for 7.5 months at which time I started giving him tastes of bananas every couple of days or so. His hemoglobin has always been great.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I'd ask for a hemoglobin test before starting any iron--too much iron can be constipating, you know, and a simple finger prick will let the doc know if your baby needs the extra iron.

Hope that helps some!
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we're doing the self feeding thing, I first came across it when I found that article above. At first I freaked a little and was so worried he'd choke but then I re-read it and it makes perfect sense. I am a little worried about giving him crackers though - is it fine to give him something like a wheat thin?? I do give him chunks of banana, apple and melon but not on a regular basis. He also likes cucumber slices and tomato slices. I want to try cheerios and those gerber puffs but I have to wait until next grocery run
Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #29
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if it'd choke him or not, but I personally wouldn't do a wheat thin until after a year--I think wheat may be one of those foods that's best to avoid till their digestive system is a bit more mature? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #30
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh duh I knew that