Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD is "intense"

Ok, so I'm mostly a lurker, forgive the intrusion.

My 19 month old is a bit of a challenge. She was born screaming, and really hasn't quit since. Here's the story.

At 2 months she was diagnosed with a moderate case of torticollis. We were put in physical therapy. First on a weekly basis, then every two weeks, and we still go monthly (though for different reasons now). She did, and still does, scream every single minute of the hour session.

When she was just 5 months old I got pregnant again with our DS. I attempted to continue BFing, not knowing that my supply was slowly drying up. At 6 months she had dropped from the 25th to the 10 percentile in weight, so her pedi had us come back 6 weeks later. When we went back, she'd lost half a pound. They ran a bunch of tests, came back normal, and we determined it was my supply. Weaned her and went to a preemie weight gaining formula.

Weight loss put her behind on reaching her physical milestones like sitting up and crawling. Kept her in PT.

One year appointment, back up to the 10th percentile (when she dropped weight she fell off the bottom of the chart). Pedi put her on pediasure. Still not even pulling up to stand, barely talking. Continuing PT. Have her sent to an OT for possible sensory integration disorder, cannot confirm or deny diagnosis.

15 month appointment, weight is back up to the 25th percentile where they want it. Still not walking or talking much. Still throwing MAJOR temper tantrums, SEVERE separation anxiety. Resists any and all forms of change, including solid food which we've been introducing slowly (in the form of table food) since 11 months (they had us hold off on solids because of the weight gain, wanted her on formula).

18 months - still not walking, vocab slightly improved but not much. Waiting for home visit from Help Me Grow (early intervention). Sent to a neurologist, who says nothing is physically wrong with her and labels her "intense". Muscle tone, reflexes, etc. good - she's not walking because she doesn't want to, not because she can't. Not talking normal because of older sibling. Violent mood swings - she's just "intense". Might get better when she starts speaking more, but don't count on it.

Any help? I know that is a bunch of mumbo jumbo probably. Essentially she is 19 months old, doesn't walk, talks minimally. (and isn't interested in signs) Screams a LOT. Screams at MIL, who is here often. New places, new people, new foods are all BAD.

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Beebug123
Registered Users

Re: My DD is "intense"

Your story sounds exactly like what it was like for an old friend of mine with her DD (unfortunatly we have lost touch). She was diagnosed with oral dyspasia somewhere around 2 or so. She also didn't walk until after she was 2. She got glasses and viola within a week or month of that she was walking fine. There is another lady I'm in contact with and her 4yo is also dealing with those same issues and has been in therapy for several years now. I believe she was 3 before she said her first words. I'm not sure what her diagnosis was.

Was your DD premie by any chance?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No suggestions, just . I hope they are able to give a diagnosis and treatment soon, for the peace of your dd and yourself!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry, I have no advice. Just sympathy and . I can imagine what a challenge it is not knowing if it is just stubbornness or a learning disability.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebug123 View Post
Was your DD premie by any chance?
Nope just 9 days early. She had an umbilical vein varix they were monitoring, but that was it.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote