Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Training issues

I need some advice.

My ds is 26 months and he is showing clear signs of being ready, but we have a few issues.
If he wears a diaper he will pee in it, which is to be expected.
If he wears underwear or a trainer he pees in them too. The only way he wont pee is if he is naked! even if he has pants on and no underwear he will pee.

Is this something that he will have to just grow out of or is there a way I can work on it so he wont pee?
I have not really pushed the potty at all since I have a 10 week old and he is pretty much doing it all on his own, but I would love to encourage the potty training and get him trained sooner then later.

Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training issues

DS will be 3 in 3 weeks and he still doesnt use the potty. He refuses. We dont make a fuss about it, but I really am hoping that he is PTd byt the time march rolls around.

We have tried the seats that fit on the regular potty and then we got him a Royal Singing potty and nothing. Even got rid of all the diapers and said that since he is a big boy, he has to wear Pull Ups, he wears them just fine, but we had to go back to diapers at night because he soaks the Pull ups. (ds is not CDd)

If you find something that works, please pass it on. Im at the end of the rope with PTing !
Old 10-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

let him be nekkid! It wont be long before he 100% gets it (even when wearing clothes)
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
motherhubbard
Registered Users

Boys tend to take longer. You may ask him why he pees in his pants or diapers. He probably thinks that's what they are for, and he would be partly right. Then you can talk about how if he goes in the pot (or off of the poarch) it doesn't get his pants dirty. It just goes in the pot and you flush it! He may also like a target, like a cheerio. Don't worry, he'll decide it's a good idea.
motherhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot of babies tend to do that... basically, its just because he's "trained" to pee in his dipes. Like the PP said, he thinks that's what they are for because that's the way its always been for him, kwim?

I'd let him go nakey! And when he does pee (wether in the potty or on the floor! LOL) try to point it out -- that way he will associate that sensation with peeing even better.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
crunchychristianmom
Registered Users
seller

My ds1 was naked almost his entire 3rd year. Fortunately we live in California! It took 10 months, step by step, for him to complete the potty process. I let him go at his own pace, and it was messy sometimes, but worth having patience for because it was mostly peaceful.

With DS2 I didn't even mention him using the potty, because I hoped the process would go faster if we just waited longer!! Sure enough, right before his third birthday, he wanted to wear underwear all the time, and would only ask for a diaper if he had to pee or poop, but wouldn't use the potty. Two weeks later, he was using the potty.

With ds3, we'll have hardwood floors instead of carpet.

All in their own time! Hang in there! It won't be forever!

http://crunchychristianmom.blogspot.com
crunchychristianmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 AM   #7
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let him be naked day AND night for a few days. Clear your calendar. When you get at least 24 dry hours then get some loose easy sweats. Say "it will be chilly today, these will keep your legs warm, but lets keep them dry" then have him practice pulling them up and down "I want to make sure you can get these out of your way to use the potty" Then just ask him every 1/2 hour or so "are your pants still dry?"