Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Clomid Questions??

I would like to talk to someone who has used Clomid. I have been TTC for 18months- and am ready to ask for some help. I was researching it, and found Clomid...

Now I have questions about it.
How long do you have to be TTC before you can get Clomid?
Does insurance cover it? If not how much does it cost? How often do you take it, for how long? What is the dosages?? Are there bad side affects? Did it work for you? What were your general feelings of taking it? Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Oh and how hard was it to get your doctor to let you take it?

Lastly- I am on an private insurance plan that will cover most of a pregnancy, but nothing with TTC- but I am also on Medicaid (due to disabled children)... would Medicaid pay for anything?

Advertisement

TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Clomid Questions??

This will differ from one ob/midwife practice to the next. Some will resort to it after 6 months. Some will ask to wait 1 year or longer. We were almost in the year bracket before trying it but I was definitely having ovulation/menstrual trouble and it still took a while for it to work.

Does insurance cover it?
Depends on insurance you may have. we have bcbs and they do. we paid 10 dollars I believe

If not how much does it cost?
Not sure on out of pocket, but I do believe there's a generic available, if that helps.

How often do you take it, for how long?
Most dr's will prescribe it on cycle days 3-7 or cd 5-9...occasionally something different than that but those are the usual choice of times.

What is the
dosages??
Most dr's will begin with a low dosage of 50 mg for one cycle, they may do it for 2 cycles. If that doesn't work then the dose will be raised to 100 mg. if that doesn't work then 150....however you aren't supposed to take it or it isn't recommended usually longer than 6 months....after that usually other options (or meds) are considered. I was started out on 100 then 150. The 5th month I didn't take my dosage because we were moving and everything was crazy...right after the move I found out I was pregnant. that was 2005. Fast forward to this year when we were thinking of trying...we already had x amount of 'issues' dr was aware of. We are no longer ttc at the moment however she'd started me out on 50 mg.

Are there bad side affects?
There can be but it also can be a situation you don't respond to it at all. Some people get horrible mood swings, others don't get anything. Hot flashes can be associated with it...I got hot flashes both times..but we also live in south GA where it stays hot a good bit of the time. It didn't feel like anything out of the norm and was pretty mild.

Did it work for you?
I do believe it worked...though it took a while. They say use caution if you are taking clomid and using opk's. The second time I was on it this year...i could tell right away I was approaching ovulation bc it produced HUGE amounts of EWCM. I was also on provera to to help start my periods. I think it is a hit and miss thing from one person to the next. My cousin took something similar to clomid and she got pregnant the first try. We weren't so lucky but our time eventually came.

What were your general feelings of taking it?
nothing other than I was okay with it since my periods were MIA and obviously it was hard to tell if and when I ovulated. If taken, it's also suggested to have a progesterone level check I believe on day 21 and they can tell you whether you ovulated or not. We were told to bd on cd 12/14/16 and then come in on day 21...the general idea of it. bd every other day up to the time you ovulate or something like that...sorry I'm trying to type this quickly.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and how hard was it to get your doctor to let you take it?

for us wasn't hard at all, they suggested it. First baby we had a hard time conceiving. 2nd...well we havent conceived but decided in the middle of things to put on hold (won't go into details here) She put me on it right away because i'd recently been to her about the period troubles again.
Lastly- I am on an private insurance plan that will cover most of a pregnancy, but nothing with TTC- but I am also on Medicaid (due to disabled children)... would Medicaid pay for anything? I'm really not sure on this...so sorry. Maybe if they did it from the cycle perspective if you are annovulatory...maybe they can cover it without it being for ttc, make sense?

best wishes!!

Last edited by Weezy6703; 09-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Clomid Questions??

Depends on your doctor. Often they will consider your age and your condition as well. If you aren't ovulating on your own, they will often prescribe it even if you haven't been trying very long. If you do ovulate on your own and your doctor is hoping that it will regulate your ovulation or make it "stronger", then they may want to wait until you have tried for a year. Women who are older are often given this and other fertility treatments before the year mark. But again, it all depends on your doctor.

Does insurance cover it? If not how much does it cost?
Mine did. I only had to pay my prescription co-pay which was $5

How often do you take it, for how long? What is the dosages??
Typically you take one pill a day for 5 days. When you start depends on your doctor. Mine had me take it CD 2-6, although 3-7 and 5-9 are much more common. As for dosages, my doctor would start with 50 mg only changing it if it didn't work. Since I ovulated on my own, he stuck with the 50 mg for all my rounds of Clomid.

Are there bad side affects?
I've heard some horror stories, but for me I only had the blurred vision side effect and only at night. But the 2ww was a whole different story. It ups your progesterone during the 2ww which can lead to a whole host of pregnancy symptoms. That was really upsetting for me since I started having all these symptoms just to find out I wasn't pregnant.

Did it work for you?
It worked for me in that it did what it was supposed to do, regulate my ovulation. But after 4 rounds of it I never did get pregnant. I ended up getting pregnant on my own later on.

What were your general feelings of taking it?
I am happy we tried it. We had been trying over a year when we first took it and I was happy to be doing something to up our odds. In hindsight though, I really wish my OB would have ordered an SA for my husband first. He eventually had one and it came back great, but since I ovulated on my own and all my other tests were fine, I really think an SA should have been the next step before Clomid.

how hard was it to get your doctor to let you take it?
For us it wasn't hard at all. I voiced my concern to my OB when we had been trying for about 9 months without success. He ran a bunch of tests (which all came back normal) and suggested that we wait a little longer. At the one year mark when we still hadn't conceived he went ahead and suggested Clomid.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote