Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
AllyAsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I rant for a moment?

My DD went for her 6 mo check up and she isn't growing too fast....
3 oz in 3 months. She is 14 lbs, 3 oz. and 24.5 inches long.

So here's my rant:

DH talks to his mom today and tell her DD's stats. She tells him (she's a nurse mind you) that there is no benefit to bfing after 6 months and that the baby doesn't get any more antibodies from the mother at that point. She told him I should switch to formula and start feeding her cereal in a bottle.

Where do I even start....lol!?! She's a nurse! What in the world. What a shame. I hope she doesn't give advice to nursing mothers often because that information is downright ignorant.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllyAsh; 09-09-2008 at 08:24 AM.
AllyAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
gracefaith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I rant for a moment?

GAH. MILs!!!! I make a point to ignore any and all bfing advice given by anyone who had a baby more than 20 years ago. Everything they told (and taught) about bfing back then was absolutely worthless.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Warwa1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you and I have the same MIL- LOL...they wanted to start feeding my dd table food at 5 months and always ask me "how long are you going to b/f"- last time I told her until they go to school. Her jaw hit the floor and she hasn't asked since.
Warwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We must all have the same MIL. And yes, I do hope that she doesn't give that outdated info to other moms.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL is/was wonderful but my sister was not. My sister is a doctor and she told me that nursing past 6 weeks was useless. She also told me that I told her that I had weaned my DS at 6 months. He was BLW at 26.5 months. Big difference there.

With DD, she continued to tell me that nursing her was pointless because of their being no antibodies after 6 weeks. Yeah, that is why she hasn't really gotten any minor illnesses since birth (couple of colds and stomuch flus that DS brought home).

I found out that doctors get 3 HOURS of breastfeeding instruction in medical school. 3 hours out of 4 years. She said they tell you to say it is good but formula is just as good. I wonder who supported that info?
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

Sadly, many in the medical field just aren't trained much if at all about breastfeeding.

My husband's father is extremely intelligent and highly educated, yet he believed that the baby couldn't somehow absorb the antibodies from mother after a year. I gently shared with him some better information and that was that. No big deal, lol. But it's sad how misinformed people are.
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand that thinking. To me, it's not even common sense.

I understand the slow growers though. It can cause lots of people to think you should do something other than BF. All my kids are slow. My 8.5 month old twins are just under 14lbs and just under 13lbs. My in-laws are always commenting about giving them solids and stuff. We try. They don't want them. I can't do anything about that. I'm not going to force it down their throats and I'm not going to switch to formula. So there.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ummmm wow my girlie is 6months this week and she weighed in at 13.1lbs. I'd hate to say what she would say......
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eh, don't worry about weight! My DD is a petite little thing as well. At her 9 month check up, she was like 17 lbs. But was in the 95% for her height. Our doctor said that as long as she was reaching her milestones that she was doing fine. She encouraged me to continue to breastfeed!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

My DD just went in for her 9 month check up and only gained 2 oz in 3 months. I was worried but was assured by other mamas it's ok as long as she's still eating ok and has enough wet/dirty diapers and still hitting her milestones ok.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote