Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Sore nipples

Anyone have any suggestions to get cracks to heal. My 2 week old has a bad latch that we are trying to correct, but it has caused some cracking that is very painful, luckily no bleeding. How do I get it to heal, so I don't feel like she is pulling my skin off every time she latches on. BtW I know it isn't thrush.

TIA

Advertisement

Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sore nipples

I had this with dd.. it was AWFUl!!!! I used lanolin after every feeding.. and just kept doing that till it was gone! I unfortunatly had lots of bleeding and she just had a bad latch too.. good luck mama!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations View Post
I had this with dd.. it was AWFUl!!!! I used lanolin after every feeding.. and just kept doing that till it was gone! I unfortunatly had lots of bleeding and she just had a bad latch too.. good luck mama!!!
That is what I am doing so far, well putting it on as much as I can at least, I need to get better at putting it on everytime. I read to use Grapefruit Seed Extract too, so I am giving it a try. I hope something helps soon.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

At the end of each feed, express a little bit of that thick hind milk and gently rub it onto your nipples and then let it air dry.
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

It can be hard to air out boobies, especially if you have family visiting or other kids, but it helps soooooo much. Just know that it'll get better! My dd it 4 mos. old, and I can still remember wincing with pain just putting lanolin on. I had one night when she was 2 days old, and I was so tired, I just let her latch on any old way so I could sleep, and OH MAN was i in pain for like 5 days after...latching on takes work. hth
Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #6
wass726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this too, I used the lanolin and the breasmilk, which helped. Airing out too. unfortunately my right nipple wouldn't heal. Finally my midwife prescribed a special nipple ointment - it had a little antifungal and antibiotic and it cleared it right up. this was my last resort - but it took over 4 weeks of the crack not healing and Iwould have tried anything.

I also had to end up using nipple sheild (different than a breast sheild). Avent and Madela makes them, it is a thin piece of silicone that fits over the nipple. It protected my nipple and decreased the pain tremendously. this was also a last resort for me, these can cause nipple confusion and possible decrease milk supply. but I used it short term and mostly because I would have quit breast feeding because the pain got so bad. I used it for about two weeks until it healed enough for my son to latch on.

Anyway, I just wanted to share these options because I wish someone had shared them with me, those first weeks were so tough. I would only try these options if you think it is not healing. I know it can be very painful so hang in there! It gets better and is so worth it!
wass726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I feel like we should not be hving these issues, this is my 3rd child and I BF them all. Thanks for the help, sounds like I pretty much just need to keep doing what I am doing, with a few modifications.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

Nah, its hard with them all unless you are tandem nursing, i think. my dd is the 3rd, and I had just as much pain in the beginning with her, as the others....
Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
crunchychristianmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls View Post
I feel like we should not be hving these issues, this is my 3rd child and I BF them all. Thanks for the help, sounds like I pretty much just need to keep doing what I am doing, with a few modifications.
LOL, I thought the same thing this time -- I had my worst problems with ds3! And I'm a certified lactation educator to boot! See if you can find some "soothies". They finally did the trick for me after suffering for a month with painful, oozing nipples. They're soft, cold, moist sticky pads to wear under your bra, and they feel WONDERFUL! They'd be near the nipple shields, which also really help keep nursing from hurting while you're healing.

hang in there!

http://crunchychristianmom.blogspot.com
crunchychristianmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

It is so weird w/ DD#2 I never had any pain/sore nipples she had a perfect latch, but this one is so rough on me. I truely believe that the sooner you can get them to latch after birth the better. I wasn't able to nurse my 1st or 3rd for several hours after birth but my middle I was able to nurse within a half an hour. (I had c-sections so I had to go to recovery w/ the 1st and 3rd but recovered w/ baby in room w/ 2nd). It truely made all the difference I think.

Glad to know someone w/ training still has trouble sometimes, lets me know we are all still human.