Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
mmillerRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Ferberize a 1yo???

SO GLAD THIS ISN'T A BASHING THE CIO MOMS!!!!!!!

We also had to do this, and in fact am doing it w/ DD today, as she has decided that 30 min naps are all she needs, and wants to start waking up 3-4 times in the night. I don't believe her getting such little sleep, and interrupted at that, is good for her. Do I like hearing her cry? H3LL NO! But I know that it will help her in the end be able to sleep better and self soothe. Like all the other PP said, no more than 15 min max. Good Luck!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
kmdchuckles
Registered Users
seller

I second reading "healthy sleep habits happy child" by marc weissbluth, if you haven't already. We found that with our 9 month old (who's now 2.5yo) that when we implemented many of the strategies in HSHHC, that there wasn't a lot of crying involved because he was having his sleep needs met better. The big things that worked for us were strict naptimes (some in my parenting group called me the nap-nazi) and a strict bedtime earlier than what we initially thought he needed. The book totally okays CIO if that's what you need, but I say focus on the sleep rhythms first. Good luck!

Crunchy granola christian momma to one chunky monkey (4/06) and one sweet peanut (9/08) and wife to one loving, cooking, diaper changing saint to have married me!
kmdchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
labrae
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't done this, but I have reached the point where I'm okay if she cries if we're in the room with her. Dh will have his hand on her, or lie next to her, and she'll cry for awhile, but then always fall asleep. Sometimes, if she's tired enough, she'll even fall asleep right away! He used to have to walk her and walk her too. Will she cry if you're next to her? Or does she just get up?

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how you feel. More power to the moms who can night nurse 100 times a night and stuff, but I need my sleep. I know what it's like to resent your child, too. Things don't work out how they say they will in the books, do they?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
labrae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdchuckles View Post
I second reading "healthy sleep habits happy child" by marc weissbluth, if you haven't already. We found that with our 9 month old (who's now 2.5yo) that when we implemented many of the strategies in HSHHC, that there wasn't a lot of crying involved because he was having his sleep needs met better. The big things that worked for us were strict naptimes (some in my parenting group called me the nap-nazi) and a strict bedtime earlier than what we initially thought he needed. The book totally okays CIO if that's what you need, but I say focus on the sleep rhythms first. Good luck!
Does this work if your dc never wakes up at the same time? Or isn't acting tired yet? DD never wakes up at the same time, doesn't nap at the same time, nothing. I think this is partly because of teething, because she at least used to take ONE nap at about the same time every day.... No more.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Susan0736
Registered Users

My Mood:

"Thirding" Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is the only reason why I kept my sanity with my first child. She was up every night until she was 6 months old until 2 a.m. then up every 2-3 hours to nurse. We let her CIO for one hour the first night, which was so, so, so hard and then she slept eight hours straight (and then back to bed for another seven - she was exhausted). The next night was 45 minutes of crying, and it got to be less and less, with more and more sleep. I'm a better mommy when I'm reasted and she is a much happier child when she is rested.

I also let my youngest CIO to get rid of her 11 p.m., 5 minute long, "social nurse" that she had from about 9 months old until 11 months old (she'd nurse at 7pm, 11pm, 2am, 5am - I wouldn't have minded nursing her, but it was really apparent from how much she was taking that she was just in a habit of waking and wanted to visit). That was tough, but since I knew it would work it wasn't so bad.

Quote:
Does this work if your dc never wakes up at the same time? Or isn't acting tired yet?
With second child it helped me establish a routine which then let me know that even if DD didn't seem tired, she actually was. He basically says that sleep is like a wave that you have to catch as it crests, but before it crashes. My LO woke up at different times, but I knew that according to the book I should have her down within two hours of waking up, even if she doesn't look tired (he says that a lot of times once a child starts showing signs of being tired they are actually over-tired which makes it harder to get them down).
Susan0736 is offline   Reply With Quote