Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Question Non-Vaxers

I'm sure I already know the answers, but I am just curious....

Do you any of you give your child/ren flu shots? Do you get them for yourself?

For those of you with older children, in school, what have you found to be the most effective at keeping your children protected from the flu during flu season?

We have not had the flu shot in the years past and have been fine. But my daughter is in Kindgergarten this year and we've all already had a cold twice since she started school at the beginning of September. I'm a little more worried about the flu this year with her being in school.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-Vaxers

we had a flu shot last year and that was our deciding moment to stop vaxing altogether so I am not a help to you. Sorry

My kids are no longer in school and we are bypassing all the nasties they would have brought home to the house this year but we are boosting immunity with GSE daily. (boys get it in orange juice with breakfast, girls in empty gel capsules) So far so good and nobody has gotten sick since taking these drops
Old 10-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't vax at all anymore so we don't do that one either. My mom gets all of my little sisters' "required" (of course, we know that none are actually required, but my mom keeps arguing with me on that LOL) shots but doesn't really bother with the "optional" ones like the flu shot and chicken pox, etc. Michelle and Tori are 10 and 13 now and they rarely get sick. It could just be that since your DD is only in K that she might just be getting used to being around all those people (and germs).

Just be aware that both FLUSHIELD and FLU VIRIN contain thimerosol if that is a concern for you. They also both contain egg products so be careful if any of your little ones have an egg allergy.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Babyvan
Registered Users

No, we don't. The vax is not effective at all. Whether or not it will even be the right strains is a craps shoot, and usually it's not even the strain that is circulating. It's not effective in the elderly or the very young (who are most at risk from complications from the flu).

I don't think vaccines are healthy. I think they do more harm than good. I think they put a LOT of stress on the immune system so that it can not function properly. If I am going to get sick, I want a strong immune system.

Lastly, the flu shot is for influenze. Most people don't actually get influenza. LOTS of people get illnesses that mimic influenza, but your chances of getting actual influenza (and particularly the strain in the vaccine) is pretty low.

Flu shots have mercury in them. The nasal flu vaccine has live virus in it and the person who uses the nasal vaccine is contagious for several weeks after taking it...seems like a good way to get loads more people sick and insure loads more willing participants in vaccination. No thanks. I don't even shop in stores where the nasal flu vax is distributed and I steer clear of dr offices that offer it as well.
Babyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely not. Before I even knew anything about not vaxing, I would have never gotten or give my DC a flu shot. The flu shot contains the most toxins out of any others, I believe. Not to mention it can CAUSE a flu instead of keeping you from getting in, and it's pretty much a guess as to which strain of flu it will be this season.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no, and I even advise the rest of the people in my family not to get it. the flu shot is the only vax on the market that is exempt from the new regulations an the amount of murcery, and not every drs office carrys the new murcury free flu vax. it also isnt effective, with the side effects from it also being flu like symptoms.

we give mega doses of vit c as soon as a sniffle starts, and just live life normally.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
ecomama7
Registered Users
seller

No shots ever for us. We believe it's a scam....just like all the rest.
ecomama7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

no flue shots here. My3 yr old ds has never had one and he has only been sick once with a cold due to a move from CA to PA. He goes to therapy every week and has never brought anything home so I will continue to not get the shots. My 20 month old has only been sick with an upper resporatory infection once so I dont think the shot will be more helpful than their own immune systems
Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyvan View Post
No, we don't. The vax is not effective at all. Whether or not it will even be the right strains is a craps shoot, and usually it's not even the strain that is circulating. It's not effective in the elderly or the very young (who are most at risk from complications from the flu).

I don't think vaccines are healthy. I think they do more harm than good. I think they put a LOT of stress on the immune system so that it can not function properly. If I am going to get sick, I want a strong immune system.

Lastly, the flu shot is for influenze. Most people don't actually get influenza. LOTS of people get illnesses that mimic influenza, but your chances of getting actual influenza (and particularly the strain in the vaccine) is pretty low.

Flu shots have mercury in them. The nasal flu vaccine has live virus in it and the person who uses the nasal vaccine is contagious for several weeks after taking it...seems like a good way to get loads more people sick and insure loads more willing participants in vaccination. No thanks. I don't even shop in stores where the nasal flu vax is distributed and I steer clear of dr offices that offer it as well.
Excellent! Thank you for the added info. We're going to start boosting our Vit. C and being extra careful. I didn't consider getting the flu shot at all, or having anyone in my family having it. I was just curious for some more info
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

We don't vax but dh is required to get the flu vaccine and gets super sick from it every year. The kids and I, who don't vax, rarely get sick, even when he's sick from the flu shot. I've found the best way to keep them from getting sick is to not send them to school. But really, I don't mind them getting colds and bugs now and then, it strengthens their immune systems the way it was meant to be strengthened, so I don't go crazy "protecting" them from every illness. We take common sense measures (handwashing before eatting and after going potty, cover your nose/mouth when you sneeze/cough, keep the house clean (but not overboard hospital clean, just normal clean)....)

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote