Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
OnlyaMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Vaccine concern question?

I have recently decided NOT to complete London's vaccines. His doctor says they are safe and I can postpobe the MMR if that makes me feel better. I on the other hand, do not want any of them, and I am sure I will have a diffcult appoinment at his next well check up.

My question is this.................with all the talk about the bird flu coming. Does this concern any of the nonvaxing mamas? Do you guys have much information on this topic?

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Vaccine concern question?

not at all. there is not bird flu vax, so i'm not understanding that question.

I am in the process of making a vax website. here is the link if you want to read over it. also MDC is a good source for vax info.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worry more about what a vaccine does rather than the what ifs in him contracting a virus or outbreak! Don't let the pediatricians bully you into thinking you have to get any of them because you don't have to get ANYTHING! Its your kid and your choice!
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Velvetpage
Registered Users

From a vaxing mommy - there is no vaccine for the bird flu, and won't be for months after it makes the transition to a human-to-human transmissible virus (which it hasn't done yet.) That means there will be at least six weeks, and more likely closer to several months, of people getting sick and dying before there is a vaccine available to anyone, and even then it could be months longer before there's enough of it to be available to the general public. (There is a very specific protocol in place for who will get the vaccine first, starting with health care professionals and essential service workers, and heading down the line to the general public.) When the pandemic comes (and I have no doubt that it will, within the next few years) you may find that's one vaccine you're willing to risk, but it won't be available right away and the vaxs you get or don't get right now will not affect it at all.

The best way to keep yourself and your family safe from the flu pandemic is to remain as healthy as you can. I'm sure you've probably read my thoughts on the best way to do that in the other vaccination threads, so I won't go into them here.
Velvetpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
From a vaxing mommy - there is no vaccine for the bird flu, and won't be for months after it makes the transition to a human-to-human transmissible virus (which it hasn't done yet.) That means there will be at least six weeks, and more likely closer to several months, of people getting sick and dying before there is a vaccine available to anyone, and even then it could be months longer before there's enough of it to be available to the general public. (There is a very specific protocol in place for who will get the vaccine first, starting with health care professionals and essential service workers, and heading down the line to the general public.) When the pandemic comes (and I have no doubt that it will, within the next few years) you may find that's one vaccine you're willing to risk, but it won't be available right away and the vaxs you get or don't get right now will not affect it at all.

The best way to keep yourself and your family safe from the flu pandemic is to remain as healthy as you can. I'm sure you've probably read my thoughts on the best way to do that in the other vaccination threads, so I won't go into them here.

The people who have died from the "bird flu" are those who were directly in contact with the infected birds. More people have died from the normal flu around than from the "bird flu". now that the flu season is almost over the news reports about it have practically stopped. I am betting they start up again octoberish in time for people to panic, run out and get the flu shot thinking it will protect them when it won't.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i still won't give a bird flu vaccine.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Velvetpage
Registered Users

You may change your mind when there are people around you dying of it. This strain of flu, when it mutates, will be one that nobody has any immunities to. The 1919 Spanish flu epidemic killed more people than WWI, and there was absolutely nothing anyone could do about it. That's what's going to happen, at some point in the next few years.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Velvetpage
Registered Users

The point is, the bird flu - or whatever other strain becomes the next pandemic - will have to mutate to become transmissible human-to-human. That hasn't happened yet. It might not, but if it doesn't, some other strand of virus will mutate and have the same effect. There will be another pandemic - the only real question is when, and how fast the WHO and other national agencies will be able to get on top of it. Oh, and how many people die before they do, or after because they refused the vaccine.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetpage
The point is, the bird flu - or whatever other strain becomes the next pandemic - will have to mutate to become transmissible human-to-human. That hasn't happened yet. It might not, but if it doesn't, some other strand of virus will mutate and have the same effect. There will be another pandemic - the only real question is when, and how fast the WHO and other national agencies will be able to get on top of it. Oh, and how many people die before they do, or after because they refused the vaccine.
you know what? i'll take my chances. like i said earlier. which vaccine was pulled off the market a few years ago? starts with an 'r'. i can't remember the name. anyway, my point is it was new and hurried and ended up killing way more kids than helped and i think a lot of them that survived ended up with renal problems. a vaccine that is hurried like the bird flu vax will be won't be studied and tested as much. my child will not be a freakin statistic shoved in the back. I think that instead of everyone relying of vaccines to "save" their child they should ALSO focus on optimum health. don't feed your kid just and refined sugar and petroleum based dyes. healthy immune system is an uninhabital atmosphere for diseases.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fear can manifest the exact thing you are afraid of, so watching your thoughts and letting trust overcome your fears can work wonders. For example, stress lowers the immune system, and as long as the immune system is strong, no disease can challenge it.

There are also natural remedies for the flu if you are interested in alternatives to shots. Check out www.elixirs.com, they have alternative homeopathic remedies as well as some to help prevent complications after getting shots, if needed.

The homeopathic remedy called Oscillococcinum has been helping people recover from the flu very quickly, which you can get at the health food store, as well as a few others. (I haven't tried it, but I haven't been sick in years since I started eating healthy food!) http://www.elixirs.com/prodSearch.cf...All+Categories

Remember that the risks and safety of diseases and vaccines is very contraversial, so you must do what feels right and be confident in your decision, or else opposing sides will cause worry, which contradicts the whole purpose. So, be sure you feel good about whatever you choose!