Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone adopt (or fost-to-adopt) through the county?

DH and I have always had a heart for adoption, and are now beginning to pursue it. Its so exciting to think about growing our family this way. We're taking the classes at the county next semester for foster and adoptive parents, but I have questions now .

There's no way we could afford to adopt through an agency, or internationally, but we would like to preserve the birth order (dd is just shy of 5 months right now) so that puts us in the category of looking for an infant.

All the reading I've been doing has been pretty discouraging as far as adopting infants, especially when not handled privately or through an agency. It sounds like it never happens..

We're totally open to any race/ethnicity, but probably aren't equipped to take on special needs at this point.

So my question is this: Is it possible? Have any of you adopted an infant through the county successfully? Encourage me!!

TIA!

PS: diaperswappers adoption board?! who knew??! so cool!!

Advertisement

aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Re: Anyone adopt (or fost-to-adopt) through the county?

Hi!!!
I am also about to start the classes for adopting through the county (in WV). We are waiting for our little girl to arrive first, though.

We are going to keep birth order. I have two friends who have adopted through the state (in different counties) and received infants (I know for a fact that they hadn't requested infants, either). One child was a newborn who had been left (can't go into too much detail) and the other was just a few months old. The newborn was a surprise placement. They had adopted a little girl and told the department to just keep their paperwork on file. They got a call one night that said they had found this newborn and wanted to bring him to their home.
The other couple waited 9 months for an infant. Not really too long of a wait considering.
You might have a little wait but it's certainly not impossible. Being flexible will help out a lot, too.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by MyLil'Mountaineers; 09-11-2008 at 09:38 AM.
MyLil'Mountaineers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
juclark77
Registered Users

I adopted a 4 month old from foster care. It is really unusual though in the county where I was. It was a low legal risk placement. If you only want adoptive placements, it helps to network with as many foster parents as possible. They are frequently the first to know if a child will be up for adoption. Your best bet though would be to do regular fostering of infants and hope that you get to keep one eventually. That can be tricky though. You could keep a kid for years without knowing if they will ever be available for adoption. On the other hand, even if you have to give them back, you will have blessed the child and their family by loving and providing for the child.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
tgrzecka
Registered Users
seller

I work for a fost/adopt agency where I live. It definitely has happened, but it's rare. It probably depends on your area and the number of potential adoptive families in the area. We always warn our families that it could take awhile.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
mom55
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good luck and congrats on your decision. I know a family through our church who were able to adopt through our county. It certainly is possible.
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks everybody
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's definately possible. We are foster parents through our county (WI). We are open to 0-3 boys at this time (boys because they'd have to share a room with Andy). We got AJ when he was just 3 months shy of 2. Now, he wasn't a baby, but, I do see babies at the center for bio-parent visits frequently. So, there must be some fostering of infants going on in our county!

Good luck! It's quite a rewarding and difficult (sometimes) ride!
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

If you are only looking to accept legally free children- you have a looong wait ahead. But if you are open to fostering to adopt / legal risk situations- it can happen.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
queenjane555
Registered Users

Are you willing to foster? Or are you looking for a legally free child?

In my state (MI) most available kids are adopted by their foster parents. I have waited over two years for a placement of a legally free school aged boy. However, when i got my foster license, i was placed with a healthy African American newborn boy (three weeks old) within a month of licensing. His mother was not involved at all, parental rights were terminated when he was four months old, and i'm just waiting for the adoption to be finalized (he is almost eight months old.) I dont think this ever would have happened had i not been willing to foster.

Alot depends on where you live. If you live in a small county vs a large city (like NYC or LA)....also alot depends on luck, i've heard cases within my agency where a foster parent chose not to adopt their FC for whatever reason, thus freeing up a baby to be adopted by "straight adopt" parents. It does happen, but there is simply no way to tell you how long it might take. I was placed with my baby because i just happened to call the agency at the precise moment (literally) they were looking for a foster home for him (he was removed from another one of their homes and needed a new FH immediately)...so i was lucky.

Most people foster and adopt through private agencies (placing state kids) in my county. In other places people go directly through the county.

Oh, and be forewarned that if you call an agency and say you want to adopt an infant, they will likely be discouraging and say it never happens or the wait is years. I think they tell everyone that on the phone.

Also, by the time you actually finish the process (classes, homestudy, etc), you could easily be looking at 6-12 months from now, so that would widen a bit the age range you could accept (the difference between a newborn and a 9 month old, say, might be the difference between a child being legally free and not....since that takes time.)

Katherine
queenjane555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
MamaRia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh sure it can be done. You just have to have the patience of a saint ..........
I am a foster parent. We did not get into fostering to adopt, but will always consider it. Being foster parents puts you in that predicament from time to time if a child in your care becomes available.
Just last year I fostered a NB. She is probably going to be available for adoption in November or so (she just turned a year) but she was not a good match for our family so I had her moved to a fost/adopt home. It was a hard decision but the right decision and I still am in her life.
She was our 3rd placement in just over a year. So considering the outcome the wait was NOT long, however it's a crazy rollercoaster that can be very hard and difficult along the way.
I am now fostering a 4wk old baby girl - I got her from the hospital @ 5days old and I am in love with her. If she becomes available for adoption down the line, this just may be our little girl.............
MamaRia is offline   Reply With Quote