Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone adopt (or fost-to-adopt) through the county?

More people willing to foster-to-adopt!!!

They don't advertise it much but there are infants in the foster care system. We have gotten 3 (perfect, healthy and beautiful I might add ) newborns in our 2 1/2 yeas of being foster parents with the county. We opened our home to children 0-5 years old and we have only gotten newborns, 2 right from the hospital and the other one at 2 months old. I also have a friend who adopted 3 children as newborns by fostering-to-adopt through the county. Problem is most people arenít willing to foster, they only want to adopt so a lot of these babies get overlooked. I know that because we don't live in the county that our children are from and they like to keep kids in the county they are from. They were never suppose to be placed with us but there wasnít anyone that would take them in the county where they lived so we go them I was once told that there is a need for people who are willing to do legal risk foster-to-adopt because people that straight up foster don't want to adopt and people that want to adopt arenít willing to foster. I have also been told by an adoption worker that one of the best ways to adopt is through foster-to-adopt!

Advertisement

crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
queenjane555
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalannski View Post
I was once told that there is a need for people who are willing to do legal risk foster-to-adopt because people that straight up foster don't want to adopt and people that want to adopt arenít willing to foster. I have also been told by an adoption worker that one of the best ways to adopt is through foster-to-adopt!
Where i live we dont really have "legal risk foster to adopt", where a family hoping to adopt fosters a child that is currently "foster only" but where there is a good chance the child will be available for adoption. Those kids, and kids with a plan of RU tend to be all placed in regular foster homes (some of whom really want to adopt)...if that makes sense. In my state, you can be a foster parent, or you can have an adoptive homestudy, or you can do both concurrantly (i have an adoptive homestudy with an adoption worker at my agency, and a foster license through the foster division at my agency, but they dont really work together unless a foster child is going to the adoption unit after TPR)....when my son was placed with me, all the workers pretty much said "he'll be adoptable" based on the bio mom losing two prior kids, and on the fact that she disappeared after his birth never to be heard from again. And yet he sat in the hospital for two weeks while the county figured out where to put him (asking relatives, etc), then in one foster home for six days that was not an adoptive home, then moved due to that home abruptly closing (they pulled all the kids, which is how i got my baby), then i happened to call and got him. When i told his worker that i had an adoptive homestudy already through their agency, she was happy but surprised.

It would have made more sense for him to be placed with a family prepared to adopt from the beginning, but i guess the FC system here just isnt that organized.

However, 90 percent of available kids are adopted by their FPs.

It continues to amaze me that i'm able to adopt a healthy, beautiful, "perfect" newborn (at placement), and didnt have to pay thousands of dollars to do it. Of course, had he gone to a relative, i might have a different perspective.

Katherine
queenjane555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
curlie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my understanding as well and the reason we are planning to take anything we can get. If nothing else, we are providing a place for a child in the short-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalannski View Post
More people willing to foster-to-adopt!!!

They don't advertise it much but there are infants in the foster care system. We have gotten 3 (perfect, healthy and beautiful I might add ) newborns in our 2 1/2 yeas of being foster parents with the county. We opened our home to children 0-5 years old and we have only gotten newborns, 2 right from the hospital and the other one at 2 months old. I also have a friend who adopted 3 children as newborns by fostering-to-adopt through the county. Problem is most people arenít willing to foster, they only want to adopt so a lot of these babies get overlooked. I know that because we don't live in the county that our children are from and they like to keep kids in the county they are from. They were never suppose to be placed with us but there wasnít anyone that would take them in the county where they lived so we go them I was once told that there is a need for people who are willing to do legal risk foster-to-adopt because people that straight up foster don't want to adopt and people that want to adopt arenít willing to foster. I have also been told by an adoption worker that one of the best ways to adopt is through foster-to-adopt!
curlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
jessc82
Registered Users
seller

I have a really good friends who has recieved all of her kids that way. They were foster parents for about a year before they decided they really wanted to pursue adoption. The county knew they wanted to adopt and they wanted infants. The county gave them kids whose birht parents had a history with them. Their twins (now 3) were placed with them at 2 months, the county knew the birth parents would most likely relinquish their rights...and they did... only about 5 months ago. Their youngest (now 2), they got at birth and he was the birth mom's 11th child. She gave up her rights within ther first month or so I believe.

It is probably rare for that to happen to someone twice though.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane555 View Post
Where i live we dont really have "legal risk foster to adopt", where a family hoping to adopt fosters a child that is currently "foster only" but where there is a good chance the child will be available for adoption.
At first we were told that there is no such thing as 'legal risk' placements also. We were also told that we weren't needed because there were rarely children in need in our age range (we went with such a low age range because I was only 21 at the time). We didn't go into this to adopt but we were always open to it if that ended up being the case. With each of our placements though we were told that it would be foster-to-adopt and we were asked immediately if we would be willing to adopt. If we weren't they would have found another home that was. Every county is different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlie View Post
This is my understanding as well and the reason we are planning to take anything we can get. If nothing else, we are providing a place for a child in the short-term.
That is such a beautiful way of looking at it, it breaks my heart when these children get overlooked because no one is willing to love them for fear of the risk of losing them, when (IMO) they should be more concerned about having the opportunity to change someoneís life by simply loving them, even if it does end up only being temporary. Thanks you! God bless you along your journey
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
coateslc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Me and my husband are in the process of an adoption at this time. I currently work for Child Protective Services in the state of Texas. I know that since the Gates case recently took place- We are removing a lot less children. I also know that babies are very hard to come by to adopt. We did not feel that we could afford adoption either and the agency cut there cost in half and allowed us to pay them off month by month. They were excellent! We were selected twice within 5 months and will have a precious baby girl in about 2-4 weeks! If you have any more questions- message me~
coateslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have been fostering toddlers and infants for 3yrs now and finalized our first adoption in Jan '08. We didn't start out to adopt, but always said we would consider it if the situation presented itself. It was a long bumpy road to adoption of our son, never knowing if he was staying or going. We are so glad that his out of state relatives realized that we loved him so and will take good care of him and the stopped their paperwork and pulled out of the adoption processes. I picked up our adopted son from the hospital at 5 days old and he returned to his mom for 10 days when he was 2 months old then returned to us while they searched for long lost relatives. He was 16 months by the time the adoption was finalized.

Our current placement is 13 months old and we have had him since he was 2 weeks old. His mom is very involved, but may not have the capacity to parent full time. His maternal grandfather is in the picture, but isn't sure if he wants to parent the little guy full time. So, right now we are Plan C for this little guy. The SW says that they really need to have some decisions from the family members before the 15 month mark, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen as the birth family doesn't seem to notice that this little one is growing up fast. So we may or may not adopt another little one placed here as a newborn, but at any rate we know we gave him the best start in life that he possibly could have and pray that it carries him through his life.

Back online and getting caught up. Thanks for your patience.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks again, everyone. i was disconnected for a week (thanks, ike) and came back to even more responses! i'm getting SO excited to start our classes.
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote