Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS doesn't nurse well during day

Has anyone else gone through this? DS is 8 months old and for about the past two weeks he doesn't take the breast very long during the day. He will have a nice snack in the morning and maybe a few minutes midmorning.. maybe some at lunch.. same with the afternoon and then eats big again at night. He is on solids as well but isn't consuming any huge quantities or anything. Plus I offer him the breast before the solids and it seems like he just isn't interested. I don't remember going through this with DD. Thoughts? I really hope he isn't trying to wean himself yet!!! He will take a sippy cup but won't take a bottle. I don't pump and I have tried soy formula with him before to go to grandmas with and he will have none of it. He'd rather starve then have that stuff. <-- his face LOL And regular milk even when I have normal amounts seems to give him belly aches so I can't imagine trying to put him on whole milk. ugh. I really hope he gets out of this!

Ideas? Input?

Advertisement

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS doesn't nurse well during day

Hey may be eating too many solids, or like my son was, just a quick nurser. My son got really really good towards the end and would only nurse like 4 minutes and that was both sides. However, he was getting plenty cause he was a chunk then. Its amazing how much they can get in a short amount of time. I give my son a cup of juice now and he can down the whole thing in like 2 minutes. So you just never know. Plus at his age, things start getting distracting and they would rather be playing then nursing.

Try nursing in a quiet, dim room...it really helps. I almost gave up nursing at 10 months cause he would barely pay attention long enough..but this method is what he needed to stay focused.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think you should take it as a sign that he is trying to wean.

DD is 7 months and she also nurses for only a little bit. I just offer her breast a lot when I'm home (I work full time), and I don't think she is weaning, just interested in the world.
It seems like she nurses the longest at night (when I put her to sleep and in the middle of the night) as that is when she is most relaxed.

Here is some info:

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/strike.html

Mama to Julia Maite 1/27/08 and #2 on the way - due January 2010 (Green Team)
JuliaMaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes our nursing place is in his room with the shades drawn and the door half closed. So he knows that he is about to be nursed when we have that little ritual. I don't think he is getting to many solids as I try to nurse him 1/2 hour before he is scheduled to have a meal and he's not eating a ton at those times either. Maybe he has just become a quick nurser? He's never been a huge chunk of a baby, but he is solid and a little pudgy.

His sister would eat forever and was a VERY chunky little one. She weaned herself at 13 months. I am hoping to go at least that long with this little one too. Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any ideas I am open to them. Short of starving him by taking away his solids that is! LOL

I read that article and thanks for sharing! I think he is just going through something. He will eat just not for long and then he wants to "play" with it and will laugh at me and try to sit up because he doesnt want any more. We'll get through it though!

Last edited by huntingflower; 09-11-2008 at 09:20 AM.
huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

my son did that same thing.....and while he still hasn't completely weaned (he's 1 yr on mon) he's cut those feedings out. now he likes the morning feed, sometimes 1 after a nap or mid afternoon and bedtime and that's it.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

its actually very common at that age 8-9m --if you hear of a baby "self weaning" it is almost always this age but the baby isn't actually weaning .

This explains it well
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like he is doing a little reverse cycling if he is bfing alot at night. Its just a phase and you should continue to offer during the day. He isn't weaning. There is just too much fun to be had during the day. (he is probably more efficient to! during the day he gobbles up what he needs and at night he takes his time and enjoys his meal )