Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
diaperbuttheaven
Registered Users
seller

Question Co-Sleeping vs Not and Bfing

Everything I've read seems to say that co-sleeping is best to support a nursing relationship between a mother and baby. Now if the mother is willing to get up walk to the nursery and nurse the baby everytime the baby "calls" why isn't it just as good?

With my DD1 I kept her in our room until she was 8 months or so in the co-sleeper or in bed with us. With DD2 she never slept in the co-sleeper, only in bed and I wasn't resting as well plus she is super grunty and farty all night long. I moved her to the nursery which is literally 3 ft from our room. I get up and nurse her whenever she needs it, usually once or twice a night and I bring her into bed with me after DH has left for work. I don't think I am hurting our nursing relationship at all. I am sleeping better and she seems to be sleeping better and longer also. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

diaperbuttheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
stacey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Co-Sleeping vs Not and Bfing

It supports my nursing relationship because i am too lazy to get out of bed but, i ff my second child and he was a co sleeper anyway too because i wasn't getting out of my room to feed him. If it works for you, i am all the more jealous!
stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably because it'll more than likely make you miserable to do the latter, and you'll thus be more likely to nightwean early or start supplementing to try and get baby to "last" longer at night. IMO, you just get better sleep by cosleeping because you don't really have to do anything at night to feed your baby.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it just totally depends on your personality and sleep habits. I never could sleep that well with the baby in the bed, so it was worth it for me to sleep soundly and then get up to feed, but for some people it is just the opposite. My friend says she can't sleep with baby out of bed because she worries, and she hardly wakes up to nurse, so co-sleeping was definitely best for her. If whatever you are doing keeps you as rested as possible, then you are probably more likely to continue bfing, so do what works!
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son slept in his crib in my room from day one, but not in my bed. I know that there is evidence that co-sleeping is safer than crib-sleeping, but it just makes me uncomfortable and scared and I dont sleep worth a crap if he's in my bed. When he was about 8 mos, we started sleeping in different rooms because he seemed to be waking up a lot being in the same room as me. This is working great for us and has all along, it never bothered me to get up and go to him in the night, even if he was in my bed I'd still have to wake up to nurse because he won't nurse side-lying. Now he's sleeping through the night and that's even better!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
bndsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Co-sleeping helps newborns and Mothers in the beginning because the Mother can get the early cues the baby wants to nurse when she is close to baby. Once the baby cries the Mother missed the cues. Getting the baby to the breast when early cues are given and before the baby resorts to crying makes it easier for both the baby and Mother.

Now, Diaperbuttheaven, you seem to have a set up that works well for you, and that is what is important!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bndsmom View Post

Now, Diaperbuttheaven, you seem to have a set up that works well for you, and that is what is important!

I didn't co-sleep w/ dd until she was four months old... I was too afraid (of everything) and thought she was safest in her own crib (in our room). She still sleeps in her crib, though it's secured next to my side of the bed, so I sleep right next to her and pull her over to me or I scoot to her crib when I feed her... but I don't think your nursing relationship will suffer. My sister's baby slept for 8 hours straight at night, and she nursed just fine. Her baby (now 7yrs old) was a little round thing

I am all for what works best for you, and I'm sure so is your baby

Mama to Julia Maite 1/27/08 and #2 on the way - due January 2010 (Green Team)
JuliaMaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
lissieanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bndsmom View Post

Mama - in my book, if you're doing the best you can, and are able to breastfeed, and the two of you are healthy and getting better sleep - then you are doing EXACTLY what you should be doing. Keep up the good work, mama!
my blog//lissieanne
lissieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the first 2 mos we had DD#2 in the bassinet next to the bed. We then switched her to her crib, I get up when ever she wants me to. I dont see any difference then having her by the bed or in her own crib.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

for us.. when my ds cries he wakes himself up, when we co-sleep the boob is just right there and he doesn't wake up at all..just stirs a little and then finds it. we also still sleep w/ our toddler.. i would feel like my left arm was missing if my kids weren't in my bed!