Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
dvansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do breastfed babies need solids?

I asked my SIL about my ds not sleeping well and she said he needs more solids. He's 7 months and I feed him solids about once or twice a day. So far it hasn't seemed to helped him sleep longer. She was saying since his diet is mainly liquid he needs more solid foods. I don't know sometime I think this is a myth. What do you ladies think or have experienced?

Advertisement

Holly-mama to Donovan 6
dvansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do breastfed babies need solids?

myth. my best sleepers so far have been my nurslings. my formula fed (with cereal in it for reflux) and solid-fed babies are STILL awful sleepers.

Noah 10
& Enoch 5
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Solids once or twice a day at seven months... He is getting more solids than any of my 3 at that age. I don't think that is the problem. Is he cranky and definitely in need of more sleep than he gets? If so, I would try other methods to help him get to sleep and stay sleeping. Dr. Sears has a website that is a great reference and I am sure they cover that... I'll try to get you a linky.

Cutting down or out my caffiene and offering some white noise (like a fan) does the trick for us.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Solids never helped my LO either...It is a myth, or maybe just a false correlation because at the age when solids get introduced, many babies are learning how to fall asleep/able to sleep longer anyway.
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

i think at 7 months hes getting plenty... my 2nd dd wouldn't eat any solids till 8 or 8 1/2 months.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins are almost 9 months and take very little solids. My DD doesn't really take any and DS takes some 1x a day about every other day. They sleep great. It's a myth. I researched all about when to start solids because I didn't want to start them at 6 months. It's really mostly for texture, taste, and practice before 1 year and they should be geting their nutrition from the breastmilk (or formula) until then.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked Doc about it yesterday at 6mon check up. Addy is up 3-4x a night still. Doc said its an old wives tail that solids help them sleep. Sometimes it gives them tummy ache and from overfeeding and they sleep less.
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

Myth. Babies usually start to sleep through the night around 16lbs when they have enough fat stores to keep them from waking up from feeling hungry. Usually this is the same time solids are started so people falsely assume it's the solids that is helping the baby sleep. So the short answer is- no, your baby needs nothing other than your milk at 7 mo old
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
argecash
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaneen View Post
Myth. Babies usually start to sleep through the night around 16lbs when they have enough fat stores to keep them from waking up from feeling hungry. Usually this is the same time solids are started so people falsely assume it's the solids that is helping the baby sleep. So the short answer is- no, your baby needs nothing other than your milk at 7 mo old
Where did you get the 16 lb. info. from? I REALLY hope that's true!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
pmills4
Registered Users

My DD is 8 months old now,(27 in and 15 lbs) we started her on solids at around 6 months only because she was showing interest in our food, some babies are ready and some are not. She still was not sleep threw the night when we started solids, and has only been sleeping threw the night since about 7 months. There metabolism has some to do with how long they sleep. Some babies digest there food faster than others there for need more to keep them satisfied.