Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
mamammiaof1
Registered Users

Question Does 'reaching for it' means she wants to eat it?

Sorry about this, but babies like to simply put things in their mouth. It’s their way of exploring an object. Of course they’re going to reach for an object, whether it be your plate or a toy on the table. So, why assume that they’re “ready” to eat solids just because they’re reaching and putting things into their mouths? This is what they do all day! Is it because you’re persuaded by your doctors (who aren’t always right and most of the time too institutionalized/industrialized), bored, or feel like you have to keep up with your girlfriends who introduced rice cereal at 4 months? Maybe I'm projecting here. Please don't be offended.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

mamammiaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Does 'reaching for it' means she wants to eat it?

ummm, i am not sure where you are going with this but i agree. babies mouth things because that's their way of exploring their world. i think that we all do things differently with our children and there is no absolute right way to raise a child but the standard is that waiting until 6 months to introduce solid foods is best and that breastmilk or formula for the first year is all that is needed and solids are mostly for experimentation.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

i totally agree! my ds is 8 mos..puts most things in his mouth..but if he puts food in his mouth i get this "mommy help me" look! lol he is such a booby boy
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree.
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
bflymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried feeding my daughter at 4 months....the doctor said to....it was a total waste of time..... wait.... it's a lot easier the older they get.
bflymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree, J is 6 monthes and EBF, and he shows alot of interest in table food now, but if you give him a piece of rice he chokes! He loves avocado in those mesh eater things but that has happened twice. He will be ready soon enough and it is just as hard, if not more, on me emotionaly!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Jadedone80
Registered Users
seller

I agree.

Their tongues are very sensitive and they process information by putting things in their mouths. There is an inborn tongue-pushes-out reflex to keep them from choking if anything is put in their mouths before they are ready, although they do still need to be protected from choking hazards.

The "rice cereal" starting at 4-6mo is primarily to line the manufacturers pocketbooks rather than the health of the babies.

Generally, if they can sit up on their own and have the pincher grasp, they are ready to try solids.
Jadedone80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
AJ'sMama
Registered Users
seller

I don't think that reaching indicates a desire to try solids, but I think that some babies are ready earlier than 6 months, and show it in other ways. My son started staring at me while I was eating about a week before 5 months. At this point he was sitting on his own, and BFing every 2 hours or sooner, so I tried cereals and homemade food, and there was no looking back. After the first spoonful he opened up every time until his belly was full, and we soon got to the point where chair/bowl/spoon made him laugh and get excited. I don't agree with pushing cereal into a 4 month old, but there are some babes who are ready earlier than 6 months and I don't think we should make them wait.

If I have another, I'll watch for the same cues and try solids then, but if he/she isn't ready I won't push it. Also, I'll go right to homemade foods and skip the cereal, I think it was a waste of time. I liked making homemade food but once DS got a taste of solid table food, there was no looking back. By 9 months there was no way you could feed him anything mushy or off a spoon. Maybe he's just an advanced eater!
AJ'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree. DH keeps asking and asking when we are going to start DD2 on foods. Of course she'll open her mouth or reach for a spoon. She would also probably do the same if I gave her a light bulb. She'll reach for anything and put it in her mouth. Doesn't mean that she's ready for foods. I think there's more to if a baby is ready than just them reaching for the spoon or food item. I started DD1 on cereals at 5 months old and I really wish I would have waited to start her on foods. But being a first-time parent we were so eager to see our little one try food and see her reaction. Now she has food allergies and I wonder if that could have been prevented. We don't have food allergies in either of our families. Of course, we'll never know. At least I can do my best to delay DD2 starting solids and if she develops food allergies then at least I won't wonder whether it was because of me starting solids early. When I do decide to start I'll be skipping cereal and going straight to table foods. Just mushed or grinded and as organic/natural as I can.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
xmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different and I don't think the "guidelines" are right for every baby. For us DS seemed ready for solids early b/c he was VERY interested in what we were eating. I could give him other things to play with and he was intent on wanting what we had. He has never had a problem eating anything (of course never gave him anything dangerous like popcorn or whole grapes). For me if he had wanted to just play with it I would let him like anything else that is safe to be in his mouth but he didn't just feel it for texture of whatever, he ate it and would want more.