Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Can I have some wine?

I know I should not have any alcohol, but if I was to drink a little wine, how much would be okay w/ a 2 month old EBF little guy? And does anyone know, does his little liver have to process any of it, or will mine take care of it.

He can have a bottle while my gathering is taking place, but I know that it takes time for my body to process the alcohol and he's going to want to nurse before going to sleep and for sure in the middle of the night.

Any advice for me?

FYI, I will not be drinking a drop if I hear that it's bad, so please no harsh words

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
kkrpata
Registered Users

Re: Can I have some wine?

Of course none is probably best, but I'll have a half glass of wine every now and then, and did when DS was that age also. I definitely think he doesn't sleep as well when I have a glass, but otherwise he's always been fine. If I have a full glass I usually just mix 3 oz wine with 3 oz sprite. Not quite the same but I still like it - and it makes me feel like an actual adult! There's also test strips for breastmilk you can buy online or at BRU.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is a wonderful link and information about how long you should wait and how fast your body processes alcohol based on your size.

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2002/Jan/vol4...clinical-1.asp

Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

I am a firm believer in everything in moderation and I occassionally have 1 beer or wine and don't think there's any harm in that. JMO though. I have a 4 1/2 mo old EBF DD
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the great advice! I think I'll do 1/2 glass, make sure he doesn't nurse for an hour after, and be okay with it!

I just wanted to have a tiny bit. I miss wine!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

lol i don't think its a big deal at all..in fact hops in general is really good for your supply..which is why you still hear of people telling women to drink a beer when nursing..

i have a glass of wine/beer almost everyday w/ dinner.. i've never seen a difference in my babies sleep habits when i did or didn't ..enjoy mama!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
sfk
Registered Users

The last time I was in Babies R Us I saw a box of what looked like pH test strips to test your milk to see if it still has alcohol in it. It's called Milkscreen. $19 for 20 tests. I've never used this product myself. Here is the product description from the Babies R Us website:

Product Description

In just two minutes, milkscreen™ quickly and accurately analyzes breast milk for alcohol. Every mother is unique so, naturally, the way our bodies metabolize alcohol is unique, too. Metabolizing alcohol depends on several factors including body weight, type of alcohol consumed, and food intake so milkscreen™ was created to eliminate those variables.

Milkscreen™ also helps ensure that the alcohol concentrated in Mom's breast milk is not at a level that may have negative impacts on Baby. Studies have shown infants consuming breast milk with alcohol concentrations at approximately 30mg/dl, or 0.03%, and higher have exhibited distinctive changes in feeding behavior and sleep. Babies consume less if the milk contains alcohol and they also sleep less and wake more frequently. We've set the milkscreen™ test to show a color change at 0.02% to help Mom stay within recommended feeding guidelines. Each package contains a $8 rebate.
sfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with "everything in moderation", so I don't think the occasional glass is a problem at all. I have one glass of beer or wine once in awhile and I haven't noticed any issues w/ my babies. And beer is supposed to be good for your supply!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I don't like beer , but I did enjoy a nice glass of wine! It was so yummy, I enjoyed every sipp! And my son seemed to have no adverse affects. In fact, he nursed at 9pm, and then slept until 5am. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock and it was 5. He wasn't even really fussing loud yet, but I was so shocked I got right up

Guess he enjoys a little wine every now and again as well
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as you aren't getting drunk (at which point you shouldn't be caring for a child *anyway*), you are fine. But, based on the following article, I would definitely keep your consumption to a minimum for another couple of months or so, just because of your baby's age. However, I'm a firm believer of everything in moderation.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
Quote:
In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

Always keep in mind the baby's age when considering the effect of alcohol. A newborn has a very immature liver, so minute amounts of alcohol would be more of a burden. Up until around 3 months of age, infants detoxify alcohol at around half the rate of an adult. An older baby or toddler can metabolize the alcohol more quickly.