Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my DD hates baths

DD loves baths but she absolutely hates having her hair washed. Actually she hates the rinsing. I used to shower with her in the bottom of the tub but she can't stand it now. I usually let her play as long as she wants, which isn't that long, and then I wash her hair right before she gets out.

Advertisement

Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
A'smommy
Registered Users

YES the wrap looks like a wonderful idea! My DD hated baths too, but liked the shower in a solarveil sling. She came around to baths after I started getting in there with her. Gradually she got to where she'd get in the tub by herself. Now she's 18 months and doesn't want to get OUT of the tub!

I had a terrible time co-bathing with her when DH wasn't around, but finally figured out if I just used the regular tub (instead of my big, deep garden tub) it was MUCH easier to climb out with the babe! (doh!) Another idea is to put a bouncy seat or something near the tub and lay a towel over it, then lift her out and set her in/on that before climbing out of the tub yourself. You might also try wearing water shoes yourself, for the extra traction.

GL, HTH!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The taking a bath with her and nursing really did the trick for my DD, now at a year old, she loves the bath. It also had a little to do with her balance at that age because the water throws them off and it freaks them out.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
She cries and screams everytime she takes a bath. This makes it so I only give her a bath every 1-2 weeks . I just dont know what to do to get her to enjoy it. Tonight for her bath she stood in the sink. She would not sit down. I was thinking of getting one of these

http://store.attachedtobaby.com/deta...ama-Water-Wrap

to help her get used to the water. Do you think its worth it?
Hey Mel! I used to take baths with my DD. I don't anymore, well, sometimes, but it made her enjoy the baths a lot more and now she's ok in there by herself. Good luck!!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
childress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto on the co-bathing. I'm really gonna miss it when my daughter gets too old for bath/sha-baths with Daddy. The sha-bath dance, the 'spread 'em' routine that takes upper body strength to invert her to clean the downward pointing bits and peices... who needs a trip to the gym...

Remember that if you're in there doing the same thing that you want your kiddo to do, with a smile on your face and making a fun game out of it (and holding them tight/safe), they'll be a lot less resistant and panic'd about it.

Bath/swimming are the same. Ditch the @!#$!@ swimmies and flotation devices and just hold your 2-6 month old close to you, smile and laugh a lot and make a game of it. I showed a young mom who had her tot in swimmies and who was screaming bloody murder how to strip 'em off and just hold him, and he would go ANYWHERE in the pool with her, regardless of depth, and eventually in 10-20 minutes she could hold him at arms' length.

I know moms are much more group oriented with other moms/kiddos, while us dad's seem to prefer to do things solo or smaller groups, but I think that the standard intro to water class -- getting a bunch of screaming/panicy 6mo-toddlers age together in a pool -- is a bad idea. Kiddos copy what they see, so you want 'em focused on your smiling happy face, and not distracted by the uncertainty and fear of the other kids/parrents. Wanna dunk 'em? You go first and model it for 'em and be sure to come out smiling/laughing like it was the funnest thing in the world. High five-em and distract the heck out of 'em the first couple of times you do it (distraction is a most excellent tool for a pre 3-year old! Stops crying instantly unless they're really hurt, and can prempt unwanted behavior) At about 6 months my now five-year-old was in the water with me and a bunch of other adults swimming laps doing 'otter rides' and 'horsey rides' and never knew that water was something to be afraid of... she's now doing 'mermaid' swimming/dives in water that she can't quite touch and will dive into 10-12' deep water without a second thought...

Might try using the little mermaid video for baths/swimming...

But above all, always remember you're their model. If you're afraid of getting your hair wet, hold your nose whenever you go under water, afraid of dogs, you can bet your kids will be... gotta stop drinking outta that milk jug...
childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #16
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we took a bath together last night! (yes its been a week and a half since she had a bath) and She LOVED it! I loved it. Thanks for all the advice
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #17
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Re: my DD hates baths UPDATE

I'm glad it worked out for you mama. Don't feel bad about not giving her a bath more often! My youngest hates baths too unless he is in with me!! I only give him and my oldest a bath about twice a week unless they really need it. Our water here is super hard and makes our skin and hair soooooo dry!!
My oldest went through the no bath stage too unless I was in there, but my DH would take turns getting in with him. That helped a low. He started LOVING his baths, hopefully my younger one will too!!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #18
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

My daughter was suddenly terrified of baths at about 19 mos old. We had never had a problem before that. So I bought LOTS of different bath tub toys. Dora was her favorite and they have a cute Dora, boots and Diego play island set for the bath tub. She would get into to play, then want to get out when it was time to wash up. So I would wash her up, give her more toys, wash her hair, give her more toys, then she could play as long as she wanted. Eventually she came back out of it. Now she is fine! lol

Hope things get better!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad to know it worked out. Hey, and maybe since she likes the baths, she will wat to do it more often.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
we took a bath together last night! (yes its been a week and a half since she had a bath) and She LOVED it! I loved it. Thanks for all the advice
Yay!! I don't know about you, but it's the only way I can even find time to get clean myself!! LOL!