Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
rik8144
Registered Users
seller

My daughter hated my breast and my son wouldn't pee.

I feel like I should share my story because I hear moms who are FF say "He/she didn't want my breasts, lost weight, and had dry diapers."

In the hospital, my daughter got a bottle because I was bleeding and passing out. I didn't trust myself to not drop her until I could get my head on straight and my DH was out of it. So, I sent her to the nursery. That was the biggest mistake of my short time with her. They fed her 2 bottles while she was there. That was enough to kill our breastfeeding relationship.

When I tried to BF once home she would scream and arch her back...basically act like we were killing her. It broke my heart, I was a first time mom, I had no BF support...I gave her a bottle. Then another and another and another. That night all she ate was bottles. I cried all night.

I woke up the next morning so engorged my breasts were like rocks. I called the LC at my hospital and jumped in the shower. DH came home from grocery shopping and we jumped in the car.

I love that LC. She told me to throw away the bottles and force her to breastfeed. Well, that broke my heart too!! It only took 3 times but by the end of the day she was a breastfed baby....and she continued until the day her baby brother was born. (She stopped on her own, her choice!) She drained both breasts in the LC office that morning.

Basically, I held her cradle position and held my breast in the C shape hold. DH had to hold her head steady so she could not 'run' away from the breast. She screamed and arched and tried her beast to get away. I cried and cried and told DH to stop..I would just give up. He said NO! So we tried again and again....by that night there was no screaming or arching....just sweet suckling and swallowing.

SO, when my son was born I knew what to do. There were no bottle allowed near him. He only urinated ONE time for the first 2 days of life...he pooped 4 times. By day 3 I was slightly concerned but I knew my body would do it's job and nourish him. That night he soaked his diaper. I did it!! He has never had a drop of formula!!

If you got this far...thank you. I have been breastfeeding one child or the other for 2 1/2 years now and I hope to get one more year in with my son.

I am now on my way to getting my LC certification to add to my RN status in the NICU.

Advertisement

Last edited by rik8144; 09-11-2008 at 07:50 PM.
rik8144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My daughter hated my breast and my son wouldn't pee.

WTG mama!
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what a great story, way to go!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WTG mama! I, too, have had so many issues with my DS and BF. ALL of my friends told me they would have quit with any one of the issues I faced, but we keep on... Your story inspires me to keep going (even though we are going through another rough spot... due to starting solids). Thanks for sharing :0)

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's awesome--you are going to help so many mamas and babes as an lc! you have a great story!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's awesome! WTG!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
MisanthropeKitty
Registered Users

thank you for sharing! my son also did not pee until 48 hours after he was born and when he finally did it was a flood!
MisanthropeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

thanks for sharing! it made me tear up a little! i love BF'ing stories! i have thought about becoming a LC too..for now i am becoming a leader of my lll group!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing!! I don't think too many new moms realize it's not that easy for most women at the begining... it wasn't for me either... I exclusively pumped for over a month!! I 'weaned' her to my breast... she loves BF now.

Mama to Julia Maite 1/27/08 and #2 on the way - due January 2010 (Green Team)
JuliaMaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What an awesome story. Congrats on your success! It would take too long for mine right now, but lets just say that through sheer determination I am now breastfeeding my dd. She was given bottles in the hospital, and it almost killed our breastfeeding relationship. She was also given formula one time without my permission, although they knew I had pumped BM in the fridge.

I am currently in nursing school and want to do something in the mother/baby field, as well, and have thought about becoming a LC. Good luck!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote